Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Tekfes
Frequent Visitor

Calculation measure to compare metrics.

I have 2 fact table and 1 dimension table. They are all linked via the dimension table. The dimension table has all policyid in both fact tables. Like so..

DimPolicy

-          PolicyID

FactTb_1

-          PolicyID

-          Measure_A

-          Measure_B

FactTb_2

-          PolicyID

-          Measure_A

-          Measure_B,

I want to create calculated measures to compare and identify where measures do not match, or policies do not exist on both fact tables. Please let me know best way to do this.

My thinking was , I should create calculated measures on dim table to evaluate measures but I am quite new to power bi and not sure how to do this. Please help.

Desire Outcome

PolicyID, MatchingStatus

1001      Matching

1002      Missing FactTb_1

1003      Not Matching

1004      Missing FactTb_2

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Hello @Tekfes 

The table a measure lives on doesn't really matter so you can write them where they may the most sense.  I will assume for the sake of this discussion that you have a column in both Fact tables called 'Premium'.

Write a measure on each one (again, doesnt matter really but it is easier to see what table you are summing if the measure is under the same table).

Fact1 Premium = SUM ( FactTb_1[Premium] )
Fact2 Premium = SUM ( FactTb_2[Premium] )

Then a thrid measure to do some compares using a SWITCH TRUE()
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/SWITCH-True-Logic-In-Power-BI-What-s-Possible-With-T...

Compare =
SWITCH (
TRUE(),
ISBLANK ( FactTb_1[PolicyID]  ), "Missing FactTb_1",
ISBLANK ( FactTb_2[PolicyID]  ), "Missing FactTb_2",
[Fact1 Premium] <> [Fact2 Premium], "Not Matching",
[Fact1 Premium] = [Fact2 Premium], "Matching", "Other" )

Pull the policy ID in from your DimPolicy and add the compare measure.  It will return the first TRUE result or "Other" if none of them evaluate true.

View solution in original post

Hello @Tekfes 

You already have the table you need, you can just add a calculated column to your DimPolicy table, we just need to change the measure a little.

Compare =
SWITCH (
    TRUE (),
    ISBLANK ( COUNTROWS ( RELATEDTABLE ( FactTb_1 ) ) )"Missing FactTb_1",
    ISBLANK ( COUNTROWS ( RELATEDTABLE ( FactTb_2 ) ) )"Missing FactTb_2",
    [Fact1 Premium] <> [Fact2 Premium], "Not Matching",
    [Fact1 Premium] = [Fact2 Premium], "Matching",
    "Other"
)

Compare.jpg

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Hello @Tekfes 

The table a measure lives on doesn't really matter so you can write them where they may the most sense.  I will assume for the sake of this discussion that you have a column in both Fact tables called 'Premium'.

Write a measure on each one (again, doesnt matter really but it is easier to see what table you are summing if the measure is under the same table).

Fact1 Premium = SUM ( FactTb_1[Premium] )
Fact2 Premium = SUM ( FactTb_2[Premium] )

Then a thrid measure to do some compares using a SWITCH TRUE()
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/SWITCH-True-Logic-In-Power-BI-What-s-Possible-With-T...

Compare =
SWITCH (
TRUE(),
ISBLANK ( FactTb_1[PolicyID]  ), "Missing FactTb_1",
ISBLANK ( FactTb_2[PolicyID]  ), "Missing FactTb_2",
[Fact1 Premium] <> [Fact2 Premium], "Not Matching",
[Fact1 Premium] = [Fact2 Premium], "Matching", "Other" )

Pull the policy ID in from your DimPolicy and add the compare measure.  It will return the first TRUE result or "Other" if none of them evaluate true.

Thanks Jdbuchanan71.

While this works, I realised/think calculation measures will not get me what I eventually want to be able to do.

My end goal is to produce visuals based on “compare” column.

For example

Reconciliation Report                                     No. Policies                         Premium Ant

Missing FactTb_1                                             10                                                           123

Missing FactTb_2                                             12                                                           300

Matching                                                             10                                                           450

Exception Report

List of PolicyId missing from FactTb_1

PolicyID 1

PolicyID 2

Do I need to think joining the fact tables and using custom column?

Many thanks,

Hello @Tekfes 

You already have the table you need, you can just add a calculated column to your DimPolicy table, we just need to change the measure a little.

Compare =
SWITCH (
    TRUE (),
    ISBLANK ( COUNTROWS ( RELATEDTABLE ( FactTb_1 ) ) )"Missing FactTb_1",
    ISBLANK ( COUNTROWS ( RELATEDTABLE ( FactTb_2 ) ) )"Missing FactTb_2",
    [Fact1 Premium] <> [Fact2 Premium], "Not Matching",
    [Fact1 Premium] = [Fact2 Premium], "Matching",
    "Other"
)

Compare.jpg

Thanks you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.