Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ryan-gao
Helper III
Helper III

Calculation logic behind percent conditional formatting

Hi Guys

I use a very simple sample data to demonstrate the results of the percentage conditional format. Please explain the calculation logic.

percent conditional format

The table has only four rows,take 10  as the maximum which is 100%, 1 and 2 is below 33 percent, It turns out that this is true,  4 is 40 percent of 10, but actually   it is between 33 and 34 percent . can anyone explain it?

5 REPLIES 5
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ryan-gao 

As tested with Version: 2.71.5523.941 64-bit (July 2019),

The picture you provided is the the default rules.

It applies a red diamond to the lower 33% of your data, a yellow triangle to the middle 33%, and a green circle to the upper 33%.

So however you change it, it will show by default.

To create your own rule, please delete the default ones, then create new rules.

2.png

Please read more from the blog

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-july-2019-feature-summary/#filterPane

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi juanli

Thanks for your reply, I know how this function works, and I'm curious about the calculation logic used for percentages,  finally, I found an article explaining the problem https://www.powerbigeek.com/percentile-in-powerbi-conditional-formatting/

Thank you all the same

The default logic is Pct of min and max values. Your min is 0 and max is 10. So the breaks will be auto set at 3.3, 6.6

in your case, your settings are not MECE. If you change your third setting to start at 34, I assume it will work. My guess is this is a bug. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Thanks Matt,  Yes, My settings are not MECE, I set it thay way on purpose. My question is, based on the current setting, the value 4 is between 33% and 34%. In the case where 10 is the maximum, this interval corresponds to 3.3 and 3.4.  so We can conclude that 3.3<=4<3.4  which is obviously wrong

Hi @ryan-gao 

Do you use the the last version?

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-july-2019-feature-summary/#percentRules

Could you show me your original data?

Is the "c2" repeated for the same category in "c1"?

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.