Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

msingh2019
Helper II
Helper II

Calculation involving multiple table relationships

I am facing a problem in trying to perform a calculation involving multiple tables. This is the scenario - 

- Table [SKU Master] contains SKU and Absolute Weight of a product

- Table [Consignment Cost] contains Consignment ID and Consignment Cost - stores cost for each consignment

- Table [Consignment SKU] contains Consignment ID, SKU and Quantity (which SKU was shipped in which Consignment and number of units shipped)

- Table [Sales Tx] is the fact table where I need to calculate the Transportation Cost (for a combination of SKU and Consignment)

In the [Consignment SKU] table I calculate the Transportation Cost based on the weight ratio (absolute weight of the SKU / absolute weight for each SKU in the same consignment * quantity ). I did this using a calculated column - 

Weight Ratio Per SKU = 'Consignment SKU'[Absolute Weight]/SUMX(FILTER('Consignment SKU','Consignment SKU'[Consignment ID]=EARLIER('Consignment SKU'[Consignment ID])),'Consignment SKU'[Absolute Weight]*'Consignment SKU'[Quantity])

I then multiply the weight ratio by the consignment cost to arrive at the Transportation Cost at the Consignment SKU level. Next, I need the Transportation Cost in the [Sales Tx] table based on unique combination of Consignment ID + SKU. The problem I am facing is Power BI is not allowing me to create a direct relationship between [Sales Tx] and [Consignment SKU] (via a ConsignmentSKU calculated column that I created) because of relationships that I already have.

The table relationships look like this - 
[Consignment SKU] >> [SKU Master] via SKU to retrieve the Absolute Weight
[Consignment SKU] >> [Consignment Cost] via Consignment ID to retrieve the Consignment Cost
[Sales Tx] >> [Consignment SKU] via ConsignmentSKU which Power BI is not allowing to build an active relationship.

Maybe I am missing something straightforward here. Thanks a lot for your help.
5 REPLIES 5
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @msingh2019 

You can use the function USERELATIONSHIP  to enable the inactive relationship.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Looking at you power bi file, it looks like  you already have a relationship between Consignment SKU and Sales Tx on the Consignment SKU column... so it makes it confusing to understand your problem.

"[Sales Tx] >> [Consignment SKU] via ConsignmentSKU which Power BI is not allowing to build an active relationship."

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Help when you know. Ask when you don't!