Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mmills2018
Helper IV
Helper IV

Calculation in table changes based on value selected in slicer

Hello,

below is an example of a maxtix table i created with measures.  I have a slicer I am using for Gender the values are either Male or Female.  When i select the value for female, i want the calcuations below to update, for example, for the column, Total Assessed Employees, i want the calculation to be the number of females assessed (10) divided by the total number of assessed employees (50), so it would show 20% when female is selected in the slicer.  Currently, when i use the slicer it is taking the number of females assessed divided by the total number of females.  I want the number of females assed divided by the total assessed females.  is this possible?

CompayTotal EmployeesTotal Assessed EmployeesNeeds Improvement Associates
A10050% (50\100)50% (25/50)
B20075% (150/200)50% (75/150)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @mmills2018 

Can this output finally meet all your requirement? I think I have tried my best😅:

v-robertq-msft_0-1611642338985.png

v-robertq-msft_1-1611642338996.png

v-robertq-msft_2-1611642339004.png

This is the formula of the two measures:

Total Assessed Employees =
var _gender=SELECTEDVALUE(Gender[Gender])
var _value=
COUNTX(
    FILTER('Table',[Gender]=_gender&&[Total Assessed /Needs Improvement ]="Total Assessed"),
    [ID])
var _total=COUNTX(FILTER('Table',[Total Assessed /Needs Improvement ]="Total Assessed"),[ID])
var _all=
COUNTX(ALL('Table'),[ID])
var _percent=
DIVIDE(_value,_total)
var _totalpercent=
DIVIDE(_total,_all)
var _result=
IF(_value=BLANK(),0,_percent)
var _result1=
FORMAT(_result,"Percent")&"("&IF(_value=BLANK(),0,_value)&"/"&_total&")"
return
IF(HASONEVALUE('Table'[Company]),_result1,
IF(ISFILTERED(Gender[Gender]),_result1,
FORMAT(_totalpercent,"Percent")&"("&_total&"/"&_all&")"))
Needs Improvement Associates =
var _value=
COUNTX(
    FILTER('Table',[Gender]=_gender&&[Total Assessed /Needs Improvement ]="Needs Improvement"),
    [ID])
var _total=COUNTX(FILTER('Table',[Total Assessed /Needs Improvement ]="Needs Improvement"),[ID])
var _all=
var _percent=
DIVIDE(_value,_total)
var _totalpercent=
DIVIDE(_total,_all)
var _result=
var _result1=
return

You can download my test pbix file here

If this result is not what you want, you can post some sample data(without sensitive data) and your expected result.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @mmills2018 

Can this output finally meet all your requirement? I think I have tried my best😅:

v-robertq-msft_0-1611642338985.png

v-robertq-msft_1-1611642338996.png

v-robertq-msft_2-1611642339004.png

This is the formula of the two measures:

var _value=
COUNTX(
    FILTER('Table',[Gender]=_gender&&[Total Assessed /Needs Improvement ]="Total Assessed"),
    [ID])
var _total=COUNTX(FILTER('Table',[Total Assessed /Needs Improvement ]="Total Assessed"),[ID])
var _all=
var _percent=
DIVIDE(_value,_total)
var _totalpercent=
DIVIDE(_total,_all)
var _result=
var _result1=
return
var _value=
COUNTX(
    FILTER('Table',[Gender]=_gender&&[Total Assessed /Needs Improvement ]="Needs Improvement"),
    [ID])
var _total=COUNTX(FILTER('Table',[Total Assessed /Needs Improvement ]="Needs Improvement"),[ID])
var _all=
var _percent=
DIVIDE(_value,_total)
var _totalpercent=
DIVIDE(_total,_all)
var _result=
var _result1=
return

If this result is not what you want, you can post some sample data(without sensitive data) and your expected result.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-robertq-msft , if i want to add another slicer into the measure you provided, do you know who i would do that?  I have two slicers gender and race/ethnicity, the slicer for gender is working correctly (thanks to you), now have a separate slice for breaks out race/ethnicity (Asian, Black and Hispanic) is it possible to add the value of the slicer to the previous measure?

HI @v-robertq-msft  did you get a chance to look into this at all :)?

This is exactly what i needed, THANK YOU!!!!

v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @mmills2018 

Please check if it’s what you want?

v-robertq-msft_0-1611538896720.png

v-robertq-msft_1-1611538896727.png

If it can meet your requirement, you can change the formula of the two measures to achieve this:

var _value=
COUNTX(
    [ID])
var _percent=
DIVIDE(_value,_total)
var _result=
return
IF(HASONEVALUE('Table'[Company]),_result,FORMAT(_result,"Percent")&"("&_total&")")
var _value=
COUNTX(
    [ID])
var _percent=
DIVIDE(_value,_total)
var _result=
return
IF(HASONEVALUE('Table'[Company]),_result,FORMAT(_result,"Percent")&"("&_total&")")

And you can get what you want.

Best Regards,

thanks for this, but i am not sure what is different from what you previously showed me.  for total assessed, it should not show 0% when male or female is NOT selected.  I want it to show a total of 53% (8/15) when male or female is not selected, so i want to know of my 15 total associates how many were assessed. The slicer for male and female should only show me of those assessed how many were male or female, so when i select male it should then show 75%.  

v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @mmills2018 

According to your description, you want the total row of the table to display the combination of males and females whose status is “Total Assessed” in this column when the Slicer is not selected, right?

v-robertq-msft_0-1611294600867.png

You can change the measure [Total Assessed Employees]:

var _value=
COUNTX(
    [ID])
var _all=
var _percent=
DIVIDE(_value,_total)
var _result=
return
IF(HASONEVALUE('Table'[Company])||ISFILTERED(Gender[Gender]),FORMAT(_result,"Percent"),_total)

And I guess this is what you want:

v-robertq-msft_1-1611294600871.png

v-robertq-msft_2-1611294600873.png

Best Regards,

this still is not what i want.  When i dont have anything selected on the slicer, i want it to show my original calculation.  so from the example you provided, when you nothing is selected on the filter it is still showing 0%, it should show the total for both male and female and then if i were to filter to female it would only show the total for the female, if i filter to male it will show the value for males.  I need to select female and male, so that should show me all associates.

power bi.png

v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @mmills2018 

According to your description, you want to make the value of the percentage displays 100% when the Slicer is not selected, right? You can change the two measures to this:

var _value=
COUNTX(
    [ID])
var _value1=
IF(ISFILTERED(Gender[Gender]),_value,_total)
var _percent=
DIVIDE(_value1,_total)
return
IF(_percent=BLANK(),0,_percent)
var _value=
COUNTX(
    [ID])
var _value1=
IF(ISFILTERED(Gender[Gender]),_value,_total)
var _percent=
DIVIDE(_value1,_total)
return

And I guess this is what you want:

v-robertq-msft_0-1611197595144.png

Best Regards,

Thanks for this, but I don't want the values to be 100%, I want the values to be the combination of males and females.  I only want the values to change when i filter to females.  so the values should be as how they are currently being calculated, when i select female, i want the values to change.

v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @mmills2018 

According to your description and sample picture, I can understand the output you want to get, you want to make the total number of assessed employees not be filtered by the Gender Slicer and use it in the calculation, right? You can take a look at my steps and find if it’s useful:

This is the test data I created based on your sample form:

v-robertq-msft_0-1611047920913.png

1. I created a ‘Gender’ table for the Slicer and make sure it don’t have any relationship to the main table because if they are related, the Slicer will affect the value of measures:

v-robertq-msft_1-1611047920916.png

v-robertq-msft_2-1611047920917.png

1. I created two measures:
Total Employees =

COUNT('Table'[ID])
var _value=
COUNTX(
    [ID])
var _percent=
DIVIDE(_value,_total)
return
var _value=
COUNTX(
    [ID])
var _percent=
DIVIDE(_value,_total)
return
  1. I created a Matrix and a Slicer and place them like this:

v-robertq-msft_3-1611047920923.png

And you can get what you want.

Best Regards,

Thanks!  This helped a lot.  One question though, If I do not select Female or Male I want the overall total to show (both male and female), when I don't filter it to either it currently shows 0%

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@mmills2018 you just showed what you are displaying not how you are getting to the numbers, what is the definition of this measure:

% Associates with Potential Assessment

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

sorry, still learnig this, see below:

% Associates with Potential Assessment = sum('Talent Snapshot'[Count Associates with Potential Assessment])/SUM('Talent Snapshot'[Total Associates (PME)])

Count Associates with Potential Assessment = (IF('Talent Snapshot'[Potential]<>"" && 'Talent Snapshot'[Total Associates (PME)]=1, 1, 0))

Total Associates (PME) = if('Talent Snapshot'[Management Level]="Executive - E4"||'Talent Snapshot'[Management Level]="Executive - E3"||'Talent Snapshot'[Management Level]="Executive - E2"||'Talent Snapshot'[Management Level]="Executive - E1"||'Talent Snapshot'[Management Level]="Management - M5"||'Talent Snapshot'[Management Level]="Management - M4"||'Talent Snapshot'[Management Level]="Management - M3"||'Talent Snapshot'[Management Level]="Management - M2"||'Talent Snapshot'[Management Level]="Management - M1"||'Talent Snapshot'[Management Level]="Professional - P6"||'Talent Snapshot'[Management Level]="Professional - P5"||'Talent Snapshot'[Management Level]="Professional - P5"||'Talent Snapshot'[Management Level]="Professional - P4"||'Talent Snapshot'[Management Level]="Professional - P3"||'Talent Snapshot'[Management Level]="Professional - P2"||'Talent Snapshot'[Management Level]="Professional - P1",1,0)
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@mmills2018 what are your measures? It needs a fix.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

my measures are currenlty calculating correctly.  I just need them updated when I apply the slicer value, but are my measures and how they are being calculated:

Total Associates = COUNT('Talent Snapshot'[Associate ID])

Associates with Potential Assessment = ROUND([% Associates with Potential Assessment],2)*100 & "%" &" "& "(" & [Sum Associates with Potential Assessment] & ")"

Associates with Potential = ROUND([% Associates with Potential],2)*100 & "%" &" "& "(" & [Sum Associates with Potential] & ")"

Associates with High Potential = ROUND([% Associates with High Potential],2)*100 & "%" &" "& "(" & [Sum Associates with High Potential] & ")"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.