Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mathze03
Helper I
Helper I

Calculation approach for returning visitors

Dear forum,

We use Power BI to analyze the usage of our performance support system. I'm seeking some advice on how to calculate / identifying the returning visitors. We get a CSV file from the system, which holds the information for each "page" visit. This comprises a date stamp, a session ID and an the corresponding unique user ID beside other info. 

We want to identy which of the unique users did return to the page within a certain time frame. I'm struggeling to get this done within Power BI. Is there a way to compare data with a formular or a filtered list? Or do I have to use aggregation? During my web search I learned that Google Analytics does this automatically, but we cannot use Google Analytics as we use Power BI (what I actuall appreciate 🙂 ). However, my limited skills prevent me to get this calculation done.

Has anyone expereices and can please give me hint on how to make this happen? 

Here is an extraction of the data I have on hand:

Mathze03_0-1642499337300.png

5 REPLIES 5
Mathze03
Helper I
Helper I

Dear both,

thanks a lot for your help on this topic. I tried ti use @amitchandak  way, buit didn't get any results. So it seems like that I did something. Instead of Sales, I have created a metric that counts all UniqueUser IDs within the table TopicView.  I have used this metric for the Rolling formulas:

Count of UU = count(TopicView[UniqueUserID])

Rolling 3 = CALCULATE([Count of UU],DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date], ENDOFMONTH('Date'[Date]),-13,MONTH))
Rolling 9 before three = CALCULATE([Count of UU],DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date],EOMONTH(MAX('Date'[Date]),-3),-9,MONTH))
Rolling 12 = CALCULATE([Count of UU],DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date], ENDOFMONTH('Date'[Date]),-12,MONTH))

New user this period = SUMX(VALUES(TopicView[UniqueUserID]),IF(ISBLANK([Rolling 9 before three]) && NOT(ISBLANK([Rolling 3])),1,BLANK()))
Lost user this period = SUMX(VALUES(TopicView[UniqueUserID]),if(ISBLANK([Rolling 3]) && NOT(ISBLANK([Rolling 9 before three])),1,BLANK()))
Retained User This Period = SUMX(VALUES(TopicView[UniqueUserID]),IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Rolling 3])) && NOT(ISBLANK([Rolling 9 before three])),1,BLANK()))

I follwed your advice and have cleaned upt the file in question and uploaded it so that you can see what I have available. You can access it via this link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1i1znEr7Q_ZtEDuDYNjp3HYvwhx_PkZR0/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=10272...

Thanks to @v-eqin-msft for showing me how this can be done.

Could you please kindly have a look at my approach and formulas and check what I did wrong?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Mathias

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mathze03 ,

Yes, you could upload some unsensitive data and expected output to help us clarify your scenario. Please refer to:

How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum  

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

If you want to get the users in a selected date period, I have created a data sample:

Eyelyn9_0-1642733286412.png

Firstly, please add a calendar table for slicer to select date period:

Calendar = CALENDAR(MIN('Table'[Date]),MAX('Table'[Date]))

Eyelyn9_1-1642733335180.png

Then create a measure:

Combine distinct users = 
var _disUsers=DISTINCT( SUMMARIZE(FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Table'),[Date]>=MIN('Calendar'[Date]) && [Date]<=MAX('Calendar'[Date])),[User]))
return CONCATENATEX(_disUsers,[User],",")

Output:

Eyelyn9_2-1642733378008.png

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Mathze03 , It should be similar to customer retention, you need work on range

Customer Retention Part 2: Period over Period Retention :https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Customer-Retention-Part-2-Period-over-Period-Retenti...

Customer Retention Part 5: LTD Vs Period Retention
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Customer-Retention-Part-5-LTD-and-PeriodYoY-Retentio...

Dear Amit, thanks a lot for your quick reply! I set up that additonal date table. I struggle to get the "rolling" dax formula set up. It seems like that the term CALCULATE requires as another measure, which I don't have. I only have the columns Unique User ID, Date, Session ID and Session Duration. (I have others as well, but I think they don't matter here....). Can I upload an example file here? Kind regards, Mathias

mh2587
Super User
Super User

if you just provide dummy data and expected output it will ease our approach to this problem

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

LinkedIn Icon
Muhammad Hasnain

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.