Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

EP1
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Calculation Groups within Measure Calculations

Hi

I need some help with selectively applying calculation groups. In my data model, I have 5 types of measures:

Measure Type 1: measures where the calculation group should not be applied

Measure Type 2: measures where the calculation group should be applied

Measure Type 3: measures where a specific calculation item should apply, regardless of the calculation item selected

Measure Type 4: measures that are a calculation combining a measure type 1 and a measure type 3

Measure Type 5: measures that are a calculation combining a measure type 2 and a measure type 3

Measure Type 6: measures that combine two measures of type 3, where each has a different calcuation item applied

Up to now, I have been able to implement all measure types by using a disjointed table containing the same names as the calculation items and using the DAX TREATAS() function to selectively apply the calcuation group. However, TREATAS() comes with a significant performance cost, so I want to move away from TREATAS().

I have considered using a filter for SELECTEDMEASURENAME() but I suspect this would not work for measure types 3-6.

I'd appreciate any pointers as to what approach I can use to gain performance benefits but keep functionality.

5 REPLIES 5
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Have you seen this article that was in SQLBI's january newsletter:
A Technique for Optimising Calculation Group Performance – Tenfingers BI (wordpress.com)

I'm not sure it's 100% what you need but you might be able to use some of the ideas.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

Thanks, I have seen it but I'll revisit it.

bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Have you got a demo file?

Short of a direct relationship TREATAS is generally the best way to move a filter so would like to see what you're already doing in a bit more detail.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

@bcdobbs the only complaint I have with the TREATAS approach is the performance cost. In another model where I only have type 1 and type 2 measures, I successfully switched from TREATAS to a SELECTEDMEASURENAME approach with tenfold performance gains

@bcdobbs sorry, don't have a demo file. The model itself (even without the data) is confidential. I considered using a direct relationship but it doesn't look like it is possible to create a relationship on a calculation group.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.