Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

missmasturah

Calculation/ Equation in a single cell

There are cell values that read as 24*42+22 (eg).
I'd like to make sure the entire column is calculated. I am new to PowerBI, please help!

Screenshot 2019-08-03 at 2.49.51 PM.pngScreenshot 2019-08-03 at 3.07.46 PM.png

2 REPLIES 2
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@missmasturah wrote:

There are cell values that read as 24*42+22 (eg).
I'd like to make sure the entire column is calculated. I am new to PowerBI, please help!

So from that example, if those values are stored that way in your table (as 24*42+22) and you want to see the final result (eg. 1030) then you would either need to do that before loading the data into Power BI or you could maybe do it as a transform in your Query using Expression.Evaluate (see https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2015/02/06/expression-evaluate-in-power-querym/ ) . But I noticed that some of your data has extra apostrophies and double * characters which would probably cause errors if you did not clean them up before hand.

Anonymous
Not applicable

When you add a calculated column in Power Query the expression must be preceded with the equal sign "=". Otherwise, nothing gets computed, you're just entering text...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.