Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mjoost

Calculating weighted average of the prior period

I have a page level filter for users to select a date (31 December 2020), the page then displays a weighted average measure (cap rate in property valuations.

I now want to show the weighted average cap rate for the preceding period as well (30 June 2020), however, my weighting is summed (i.e. appears as 1) and is not displayed on a per property basis:

DB_ClientOnlyFV_PY = 
//Provides the total portfolio fair value of only the client (i.e. excludes the market) for one period prior to the latest period
VAR currFVdate = // Determines the latest date which is assumed to be the most recent date of the valuation
    CALCULATE (
        MAX ( 'Client'[Date] ),
        FILTER ( ALL ( Client ), 'Client'[Adopted Value] > 0 )
    )
VAR priorDate = //Determines the date just before the max date
    CALCULATE(
        MAX(Client[Date]),
        FILTER(All (client),'Client'[Adopted Value] > 0 && 'Client'[Date]<currFVdate) //Filter to show the date just prior to the MAX date
    )
RETURN 
CALCULATE(
    SUM(Client[AdoptedValueFIX]),
    FILTER(
        ALL(Client),
    Client[Date]=priorDate 
    && Client[Client Name] <> "Market" //Show all properties where the property is NOT a market property
    )

)

Testing the formula up to the priorDate variable, the date returned is correct, however, the final return section contains an error and the weighting returned is 1 for all properties in the database.

Any ideas? I suspect this is an issue with my filter?

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@mjoost , This does not seem like a weighted average formula. This is sum with filter.

When you work with date and want to move across use date table joined to your date

Try like with date table

DB_ClientOnlyFV_PY = 
//Provides the total portfolio fair value of only the client (i.e. excludes the market) for one period prior to the latest period
VAR currFVdate = // Determines the latest date which is assumed to be the most recent date of the valuation
    CALCULATE (
        MAX ( 'Client'[Date] ),
        FILTER ( ALL ( Client ), 'Client'[Adopted Value] > 0 )
    )
VAR priorDate = //Determines the date just before the max date
    CALCULATE(
        MAX(Client[Date]),
        FILTER(client,'Client'[Adopted Value] > 0), Filter(all(Date) , 'Date'[Date]<currFVdate) //Filter to show the date just prior to the MAX date
    )
RETURN 
CALCULATE(
    SUM(Client[AdoptedValueFIX]),
    FILTER(
        (Client),
     Client[Client Name] <> "Market" //Show all properties where the property is NOT a market property
    ), filter(all('Date'),     'Date'[Date]=priorDate )

)

Thanks @amitchandak ,

The above is part of the calculation (i.e. to get the value per property). I do have a separate calculation to determine the weight (being the result of the above formula) diveded by the total fair value across the database.

The issue I am facing - the result of this formula returns the total of the portfolio, or put differently, if I had to create a table, it appears as follows, instead of showing the correspending property's value for the prior period in the table.

image.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.