Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

iraskop
Frequent Visitor

Calculating totals within dimension

Searching and searching for this answer on the forum and I'm baffled that I don't see it.

Lets say I have:

Dim1   Dim2   Meas1  [Pct Meas1/Dim1]

A         X         4            4/(4+5)=4/9

A         Y         5            5/9

B         X         2            2/3

B         Z         1            1/3

I need the formula syntax to calculate the denominator of the red column: the subtotals for A and B so I can calculate the percentages within them.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@kazlik, that would work in a Calculated Column, but not as a Measure. There is no row context in a Measure for EARLIER() to refer to.

The following should work as a measure (depends on [Meas1] evaluating correctly at the subtotal level - we can address this if it doesn't):

// DAX
// Measure
Meas1 =
<your Meas1 definition>

//Measure
Meas1GroupTotal =
CALCULATE(
    [Meas1]
    ,ALLEXCEPT( 'Dim1Table', 'Dim1Table'[Dim1] )
)

Meas2 =
DIVIDE( [Meas1], [Meas1GroupTotal] )

ALLEXCEPT() clears all context except for that in the named column(s) in arguments 2-N. It has the benefit of clearing filter or row context, and therefore works equally well in a Measure or Calculated Column.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
kazlik
Helper II
Helper II

One option would be something like this.

DIVIDE(Sheet1[Meas1], CALCULATE(SUM(Sheet1[Meas1]),FILTER(ALL(Sheet1),Sheet1[Dim1] = EARLIER(Sheet1[Dim1]))))

greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@kazlik, that would work in a Calculated Column, but not as a Measure. There is no row context in a Measure for EARLIER() to refer to.

The following should work as a measure (depends on [Meas1] evaluating correctly at the subtotal level - we can address this if it doesn't):

// DAX
// Measure
Meas1 =
<your Meas1 definition>

//Measure
Meas1GroupTotal =
CALCULATE(
    [Meas1]
    ,ALLEXCEPT( 'Dim1Table', 'Dim1Table'[Dim1] )
)

Meas2 =
DIVIDE( [Meas1], [Meas1GroupTotal] )

ALLEXCEPT() clears all context except for that in the named column(s) in arguments 2-N. It has the benefit of clearing filter or row context, and therefore works equally well in a Measure or Calculated Column.

Yes, that's it. Thanks.

So Meas1GroupTotal is my subtotal at the Dim1 level. Is there a way to express this more generically?  As in give me the row context not for a specific dimension, but for at a particular depth in my dimension list?

Say I have Dim1, Dim2, Dim3, and I want the subtotal at the level of the 2nd from deepest, whatever that is (even if I swap Dim2 for Dim4). Something like this is very easy to do in other tools (such as Tableau), so I'm wondering if there's a technique in DAX.

Come to think of it, what about in-line subtotals (under the column, not as a separate column)?

thanks

So, in general you won't encounter row context in a measure unless you create a row context with a function like FILTER() or one of the *X() functions.

Measures only have a filter context by default. Every visual only imparts a filter context to a measure - even table and matrix visuals, which have rows displayed, create filter contexts based on the labels on those rows.

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I think you're asking "how do I always get the subtotal for [Level2] in a 5-level hierarchy, regardless of which lower level is displayed?" If this isn't the case please clarify. Note I assume Level 1 is the coarsest grain, and level 5 is the finest detail level.

In this case, the generic representation would be something like this:

// DAX
// Measure
CALCULATE(
    <base expression>
    ,ALL( 'DimensionWithTheHierarchy' )
    ,VALUES( 'DimensionWithTheHierarchy'[Level2] )
)

Filter conditions in CALCULATE() are combined in a logical and such that we clear the context on the dimension, and then selectively apply only the values from [Level2] that exist in whatever the calling context is.

As I'm writing I am thinking of another interpretation that might be more in line with what you're thinking. Do you mean that each of the dimensions Dim1 - Dim4 have a hierarchy, and you always want to retrieve the hierarchy level that is Level2 in that dimension?

This is doable with a measure that looks like this:

// DAX
// Measure
SwitchingMEasure =
SWITCH(
    TRUE()
    ,ISCROSSFILTERED( Dim1[Level2] )
    ,CALCULATE(
        <base expression>
        ,ALL( 'Dim1' )
        ,VALUES( 'Dim1'[Level2] )
    )
    ,ISCROSSFILTERED( Dim2[Level2] )
    ,CALCULATE(
        <base expression>
        ,ALL( 'Dim2' )
        ,VALUES( 'Dim2'[Level2] )
    )
    , .... 
   // And so on for each DimN
)

There is no way to do this automatically, or at least none that I know of.

Thanks again. I need to work with some of this and then see if I still have an issue I can articulate.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.