Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

HxH
Helper II
Helper II

Calculating time in office

Hy guys, 
I have a table which records every time an employee enters and exits the office via badge identification. I want to calculate the time spent working for each employee, and I want to do it by subtracting the "time outside of the office" (the difference between a badge-in and the previous badge-out) from the total time worked each day (which is the difference between the MIN badge-in and the MAX badge-out of the day), The reason I want to do it this way is that many times employees forget to badge-out of the office and then do another badge-in when they come back, therefore I get multiple consecutive badge-in that I don't want to consider. 

The columns of the table are: 
-User ID 
-Date 
-Time (time of badge-in or badge-out) 
-badge-in/badge-out

DATA EXAMPLE:
UserID   Date     Time   Badge
A123   12/8/19   8.00    IN
A123   12/8/19   9.30    OUT 
A123   12/8/19   10.00  IN
A123   12/8/19   10.30  IN
A123   12/8/19   11.00  IN
A123   12/8/19   12.00  OUT

For this day and this employee the time outside of office is 30minutes and therefore the total time worked (which will be a measure I think) will be 3.30 hours.

I've been trying to do this for a couple days and I'm stuck, any help would be appreciated 
Thank 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AnthonyTilley
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

not sure if this is the best way but it worked for me.

first of all you need a date time colunm so combine your date & time colunms intoone (you still need the separte colunms so do not merge use a calculated colunm )

datetime = 'Table'[Date]+'Table'[Time]

next you need to get a colunm that will give the difference in time for each out colunm to its next in colunm

OUTTIME =
--get userid for row
var i = 'Table'[UserID ]
--get date for row
var d = 'Table'[Date]
--get status
var mb = 'Table'[Badge]
--get current datetime
var curtime = 'Table'[datetime]
--calculate the next date stamp that is after the current out stamp and is in the same day, user id and where badge is IN
var nexttime = if(mb = "OUT", CALCULATE(MIN('Table'[datetime]),all('Table'),'Table'[datetime]>curtime,'Table'[UserID ] = i ,'Table'[Date] = d,
'Table'[Badge]="IN"
))
--get diffrfence between the two datetime stamps in mins to give mins of out time
var outtime = DATEDIFF(curtime,nexttime,MINUTE)
--return the cvalue in mins
RETURN outtime

colunm.png

this colunm will be used later to sum to get the total out time for each user in a day 

next you need a measure for the total time (effectivly the diffrence between the minimum IN stamp and the Maximum OUT stamp)

TOTALTIME =
var i = MAX('Table'[UserID ])
var d = max('Table'[Date])
var MinIn = CALCULATE(min('Table'[datetime]),ALL('Table'),'Table'[Badge]="IN",'Table'[UserID ] = i ,'Table'[Date] = d)
var MaxOut = CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[datetime]),ALL('Table'),'Table'[Badge]="OUT",'Table'[UserID ] = i ,'Table'[Date] = d)
var totaltime = DATEDIFF(MinIn,MaxOut,MINUTE)

return totaltime
finally create a masure to subtract one from the other 
timeIn = [TOTALTIME]-sum('Table'[OUTTIME])

this will give you what you are after if you add it to a matrix split by userid and date

table.png

you can convert the mins to time by wrapping the masure in a time function
=TIME(0,([TOTALTIME]-sum('Table'[OUTTIME])),0)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Might be a bit late, but this blog post solves the issue of calculating time within office hours 🙂

Posting it here to help others in the future.

https://www.villezekeviking.com/calculating-handling-time-during-office-hours/

AnthonyTilley
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

not sure if this is the best way but it worked for me.

first of all you need a date time colunm so combine your date & time colunms intoone (you still need the separte colunms so do not merge use a calculated colunm )

datetime = 'Table'[Date]+'Table'[Time]

next you need to get a colunm that will give the difference in time for each out colunm to its next in colunm

OUTTIME =
--get userid for row
var i = 'Table'[UserID ]
--get date for row
var d = 'Table'[Date]
--get status
var mb = 'Table'[Badge]
--get current datetime
var curtime = 'Table'[datetime]
--calculate the next date stamp that is after the current out stamp and is in the same day, user id and where badge is IN
var nexttime = if(mb = "OUT", CALCULATE(MIN('Table'[datetime]),all('Table'),'Table'[datetime]>curtime,'Table'[UserID ] = i ,'Table'[Date] = d,
'Table'[Badge]="IN"
))
--get diffrfence between the two datetime stamps in mins to give mins of out time
var outtime = DATEDIFF(curtime,nexttime,MINUTE)
--return the cvalue in mins
RETURN outtime

colunm.png

this colunm will be used later to sum to get the total out time for each user in a day 

next you need a measure for the total time (effectivly the diffrence between the minimum IN stamp and the Maximum OUT stamp)

TOTALTIME =
var i = MAX('Table'[UserID ])
var d = max('Table'[Date])
var MinIn = CALCULATE(min('Table'[datetime]),ALL('Table'),'Table'[Badge]="IN",'Table'[UserID ] = i ,'Table'[Date] = d)
var MaxOut = CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[datetime]),ALL('Table'),'Table'[Badge]="OUT",'Table'[UserID ] = i ,'Table'[Date] = d)
var totaltime = DATEDIFF(MinIn,MaxOut,MINUTE)

return totaltime
finally create a masure to subtract one from the other 
timeIn = [TOTALTIME]-sum('Table'[OUTTIME])

this will give you what you are after if you add it to a matrix split by userid and date

table.png

you can convert the mins to time by wrapping the masure in a time function
=TIME(0,([TOTALTIME]-sum('Table'[OUTTIME])),0)

I think I did something very similar (if not the same) in one of my trials and I keep getting a message error saying that I don't have enough memory to create the calculated column with the outtime, which is stupid since it is only a 100k rows table, not some billions rows table. I hoped in a different solution to work around the problem but it seems I will have to solve this memory problem because this is the only way to perform the task I guess 

Thanks anyway it was very helpful 

Hi @HxH ,

For the out of memory error, Calculated column (especially in Fact Table) is going to impact performance of model.For optimized data analysis, you should denormalize your data. Meaning transformation from schema that's optimized for data entry to schema that's optimized for reporting.  Perhaps transforming data in query stage may help in performance. 

Also, if you connect the data in import model, please disable "Allow data preview to download in the background" from options / options and settings/data load.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Once all worked fine, please kindly mark @AnthonyTilley 's solution as  answer to help others find it more quickly.

Thanks!

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

I marked the answer as solution since I am absolutely sure it is the way to perform the calculation. I still have the memory problem, I'll open another topic if I can't solve it. Thanks to both 🙂

one note is that this will only work if the final stamp is always an out.

if the final stamp is an IN then the value will be wrong becuase the total will only calculate up to the final OUT

but the Outtime that is subtracted will calculate an amount against the final out 

for example 

if there where only three entries for the day 

In - 9:00

In - 10:00

Out - 11:00

this would cacluate as out time 0

total time 120 (2 hours)

in time 120 - 0 = 120

if however the user then logged in again in the same day without loggi back out 

In - 9:00

In - 10:00

Out - 11:00

IN - 12:00

then the outtime would be 60 (1 hour)

the total time would be 120 (no chnage as max out is still the same)

so the timein would be 120 - 60 

this can be corrected by eaither ensuring the final stamp is alwasy an out 

or by removing the filter criteria ,'Table'[Badge]="OUT" from var MaxOut in the totaltime measure 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.