Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ahxl
Regular Visitor

Calculating time between a date and today - excluding weekends and holidays (need to pick dates)

Hi all

I have so far been using the following formula to calculate the number of days beteween a specified date and todays date EXCLUDING weekends.

COLUMNAge = VAR StartDate = DATE(2017,1,1)
VAR EndDate = TODAY()
VAR WeekDayTable = SELECTCOLUMNS(FILTER(ADDCOLUMNS(CALENDAR(StartDate,EndDate),"WeekDay",IF(WEEKDAY([Date])in {1,7},0,1)),[WeekDay]=1),"Week Day",[Date])
VAR Result = COUNTROWS(CALCULATETABLE(filter(CROSSJOIN(WeekDayTable,'Aging Table','Data Table'),'Data Table'[Submit Date]<= [Week Day] && today()>=[Week Day]))) return Result

Works great, and I achieve the result I want to, however now I need to exclude holidays, and where I live the holidays are on different days (not according to standard calendar). Basically I need to be able to choose the dates I want to exclude from the calculation. 

Would anyone be able to provide some guidance in doing this?

Regards

Ahxl

4 REPLIES 4
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ahxl,

It seems to me that creating an individual calendar table could be a better solution to calculate working days in Power BI currently. Here is a similar thread in which a solution is mentioned. Could you go to check if it helps in your scenario? Smiley Happy

Regards

pawel1
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

just wonder, would it be easier to create a calendar in Excel marking the non-standard holidays, then upload to PBI?

parry2k
Super User
Super User

I assume you already have a calendar table, o add new field to flag holiday in calendar table and then update your formula to exclude those dates.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hi Parry

I dont have a seperate calendar table, but I believe the above formula creates a calendar table when it is executed? The part I am struggling with is in the above formula, adding in a portion to exclude specific dates...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.