Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tobiasmcbride
Helper III
Helper III

Calculating the number of starters per month

Hi,

I have some standard Headcount data (including Unique Position ID, Start and Leave Dates). I have imported the dataset into PowerBI and, to get a timeline view of the number of people in the business over time, I created an 'expand date' function that generates dates for people between the start and leave date - i.e. for that position ID, if they stayed for a year, there would be 365 entries as the person was there from say 01/03/2019 to 01/03/2020.

I want to, now, be able to show the numbers of starters (and leavers) per month. Essentially, want to show how many came into the business per month - so rather than what I have above (going from 220 to 222 for instance), I want this graph to show what this was due to (e.g. 4 starters and 2 leavers in that particular month).

Any assistance/advice would be greatly appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi

Thanks all!

Links above all show great possible ways to slove this knid of problems.

If anyone has difficulties implementing this, please ask your question here.

Best Regards

Maggie

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@tobiasmcbride - Seems like a time intervals situation. Thinking Open Tickets might help although it could be simpler than that, just calculate the number of Start or End dates between the MIN and the MAX dates in context. 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Open-Tickets/td-p/409364

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@tobiasmcbride 

Refer to this link, it is resolving similar scenarios else you can still adapt it.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Calculate-Current-Employee-Count-based-on-Joined-and-Leave-...

Did I answer your question? Mark this post as a solution, this will help others!.

Click on the Thumbs-Up icon on the right if you like this reply 🙂

YouTube, LinkedIn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.