Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nbridwell

Calculating the number of calendar days between two dates

I'm trying to calculate how many days it took our support team to escalate a support case.  Not all support cases are escalated so I will have blank fields.  I'm pulling the data from two different tables because the data is in two different systems. I'm not sure if I need to create a Columm or a Measure and where to put it.  I was able to associate the two tables and create a new column in the Support's System table that pulls in the R&D's System (Create Date). I just can't for the life of me figure out how to calculate the days without getting errors.  I don't want Network days. I care about calendar days.

Example:

Support's System (Create Date) - Always has a date

R&D's System (Create Date) - Does not always have a date

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @nbridwell

I created a table as 

CaseNoSupportDateR&Ddate
110/06/201612/06/2016
220/06/2016 
330/06/201601/08/2016

I set the Support Date and R&Ddate of type date format dd/mm/yyyy

To calculate the days between the two created a column 

DaysDifference = IF (isblank([R&Ddate]),blank(),1.*([R&Ddate]-[SupportDate]))

The highlighted portion is the way to calculate the difference in dates in DAX, a bit convuluted formula.

The logic deployed is if [R&Ddate] is blank, return blank () ( could be zero depending on your requirement) , else calculate the difference in days between [R&Ddate] & [SupportDate] .

If this solves your issue please accept it as solution and also give KUDOS.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
aktripathi2506
Helper IV
Helper IV

To calculate number of days in between try this: 

Considering both the columns are in the same table if they are not in the same table then you can join/merge them and then try creating a new column with the formula.

DaysNo = IF(Table[Date1]<Table[Date2],DATEDIFF(Table[Date1],Table[Date2],DAY),1*DATEDIFF(Table[Date2],Table6[Date1],DAY))

nbridwell

I'm trying to calculate how many days it took our support team to escalate a support case.  Not all support cases are escalated so I will have blank fields.  I'm pulling the data from two different tables because the data is in two different systems. I'm not sure if I need to create a Columm or a Measure and where to put it.  I was able to associate the two tables and create a new column in the Support's System table that pulls in the R&D's System (Create Date). I just can't for the life of me figure out how to calculate the days without getting errors.  I don't want Network days. I care about calendar days.

Example:

Support's System (Create Date) - Always has a date

R&D's System (Create Date) - Does not always have a date

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi @nbridwell

I created a table as 

CaseNoSupportDateR&Ddate
110/06/201612/06/2016
220/06/2016 
330/06/201601/08/2016

I set the Support Date and R&Ddate of type date format dd/mm/yyyy

To calculate the days between the two created a column 

DaysDifference = IF (isblank([R&Ddate]),blank(),1.*([R&Ddate]-[SupportDate]))

The highlighted portion is the way to calculate the difference in dates in DAX, a bit convuluted formula.

The logic deployed is if [R&Ddate] is blank, return blank () ( could be zero depending on your requirement) , else calculate the difference in days between [R&Ddate] & [SupportDate] .

If this solves your issue please accept it as solution and also give KUDOS.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Proud to be a Datanaut!

I plugged in the formula as a New Column and it worked. Thank you so much.

Days to Escalate = IF ( ISBLANK ( 'NS Cases'[TFS Create Date] ), BLANK (), 1. * ( 'NS Cases'[TFS Create Date] - 'ns cases'[Date Created] ) )

Thank you so much. I'm just getting into Power BI, so I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions.

Thank you for your quick response. I plugged in the formula and I get an error stating:

Too few arguments were passed to the IF function. The minimum argument count for the function is 2.  

I can say that I haven't seen this one yet, so I feel like we are close.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@nbridwell looks like you may have a comma missing somewhere (because the formula looks fine)

make sure your formula has all " , " and opening " ( " and closing " ) " 

DaysDifference =
IF ( ISBLANK ( [R&Ddate] ), BLANK (), 1. * ( [R&Ddate] - [SupportDate] ) )

Hi @nbridwell

Can you paste the code you had entered 

Proud to be a Datanaut!

I am trying to do this through Modeling and adding a New Measure. Is that the right place? I changed my column names, but here is what I have written as the measure. This forumula doesnt' work for any of the dates in that table, so I know it's not isolated to just these two columns.

Days Difference = IF(isblank([TFS Create Date),blank(),1.*([TFS Create Date]-[Date Created]))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.