Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

paulotv
Frequent Visitor

Calculating the Difference between two averages

Hi there, I am relatively new to Power BI ( I am using Version: 2.57.5068.721 64-bit (April 2018).

I want to show the variance between two averages for gender by year and group - my data table is below & my desired output.

I've tried quick measure, measures & new columns but (so far) I've failed. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

datatable.PNGdesired output.PNGWhat I have.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Step 1:  Create a Measure that simply creates an average, ignoring Gender and Timeframes.  This could look something like:

Average Measure = AVERAGE('YourTable'[Score])

Step 2: Create a measure that cares about Gender:

Male Average = CALCULATE(
	[Average Measure],
	'YourTable'[Gender] = "Male"
)

The female version should be easy to work out.

Now you can place these gender meeasures on a visual that has the Year & group as the context.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Step 1:  Create a Measure that simply creates an average, ignoring Gender and Timeframes.  This could look something like:

Average Measure = AVERAGE('YourTable'[Score])

Step 2: Create a measure that cares about Gender:

Male Average = CALCULATE(
	[Average Measure],
	'YourTable'[Gender] = "Male"
)

The female version should be easy to work out.

Now you can place these gender meeasures on a visual that has the Year & group as the context.

Ross, a big thanks for your post & direction. I created a fourth measure to deduct the individual gender measures from each other & it worked a treat.

I have a question though.  How does the measure handle page filters? My data is split by seasons & I have selected the summer seasons only on this page. Is the measure smart enough to pick that up? Do you know?

Thanks

Paul

Anonymous
Not applicable

Measures are always context sensitive, unless you explictly write it to ignore the context.

So when your measure was used in a table or matrix, the context is all of the column and row context, as well as any filters on the visual, page and report.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.