Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LewisH
Helper II
Helper II

Calculating the Average Days Difference

I have a table called 'Put Away headers' and two fields Called 'Assignment Date' and 'Complete Date'. I would like to calculate an overall average of the days difference between these, excluding weekends. Please explain simply I'm new to this. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

The easiest way to do this is to create a calculated column in combination with a date table. You will need a date table because you will need all dates in the specific period. You can either create a date table in your database, import it (and create it in Excel) or dynamically using DAX. For the last one, see for example: https://www.agilebi.com.au/blog/power-bi-date-dimension. 

You will need to create a column (For exampe 'Workingday' in this date table where you specify for each day if it's a weekday. The column should contain a 0 or a 1 (1 for weekdays and 0 for weekenddays). 

Then, your create a calculated column with the following formula: 

Workingdays = calculate( sum(DimDate[Workingday]); DATESBETWEEN( DimDate[Date]; PutAwayHeaders[AssignmentDate];  PutAwayHeaders[CompleteDate])))

As you can see I named my date table DimDate. 

The last step is to create a measure with an average over this calculated column:

Average Workingdays = AVERAGE(Workingdays) 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The easiest way to do this is to create a calculated column in combination with a date table. You will need a date table because you will need all dates in the specific period. You can either create a date table in your database, import it (and create it in Excel) or dynamically using DAX. For the last one, see for example: https://www.agilebi.com.au/blog/power-bi-date-dimension. 

You will need to create a column (For exampe 'Workingday' in this date table where you specify for each day if it's a weekday. The column should contain a 0 or a 1 (1 for weekdays and 0 for weekenddays). 

Then, your create a calculated column with the following formula: 

Workingdays = calculate( sum(DimDate[Workingday]); DATESBETWEEN( DimDate[Date]; PutAwayHeaders[AssignmentDate];  PutAwayHeaders[CompleteDate])))

As you can see I named my date table DimDate. 

The last step is to create a measure with an average over this calculated column:

Average Workingdays = AVERAGE(Workingdays) 

Workingdayss = CALCULATE(sum('Invoked Function'[WorkingDays]), DATESBETWEEN('Invoked Function'[Date], 'Put Away Headers'[Assignment_Date],'Put Away Headers'[Complete_Date]))

I've tried this but i'm getting this error

154.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you accidentally created a measure instead of a column. Try again with a column using the same syntax (so right click on the table > new column). Then, create a measure with for Average Workingdays = AVERAGE(Workingdayss). 

following your example I've created a table and populated workingday with either a 0 or 1. 

Secondly I'm trying to create a new column in that table called 

Workingdays = CALCULATE(sum('Invoked Function'[WorkingDay]), DATESBETWEEN('Invoked Function'[Date], 'Put Away Headers'[Assignment_Date],'Put Away Headers'[Complete_Date]))

I havn't done the measure yet but the new column isn't working 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can attach some print screens? A print screen of the field section (so I can see the types of columns of the tables) and two print sceens of the data view of these two tables. 

155.PNG156.PNG157.PNG158.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try to create the calculated column in the other table (PutAwayHeaders). It worked for me. I've also added +1 after the DATESBETWEEN because otherwise 1 workday doesn't get counted. 

temp.PNG

Thank you for your help.

How can i filter this so it doesn't factor in records which have a blank 'Put Away header'[Complete Date]

as this value is skewing the results, thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome. The easiest way probably is by adding another filter to the measure, such as: 

NOT(ISBLANK(Complete Date))

So I have the table which specifies day of the week, how would i write a new column to do the 1 for weekday and 0 for weekend

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.