Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tijevancasteren
Regular Visitor

Calculating percentages of individual answers instead of grand total

Hi all,

I'm currently analyzing a database with surveys for my graduation project. I'm stuck with the following problem; I have a multiple response answer which asks the respondents if they know a company or not. I unpivoted the columns and have the following bar chart at the moment. 

Bar Chart

I want to transform this into a bar chart where I can see how many of the respondents ticked each answer. I have 628 respondents, so the first answer should reach around 95%. How can I calculate this? Thanks in advance!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Tijevancasteren

Try to replace "COUNT" with "COUNTA".

View solution in original post

@Tijevancasteren wrote:

Thanks! This worked for that table. I tried to use this solution on another table. I have a table with two stacks, one for the rating of a subject, and one for the importance of a subject. The measures in the table on the right of the picture are correct.

Beoordeling  & Belang.JPG

When I put them together in 1 table, as shown on the left, the bottom right value has changed. What am I missing?

@Tijevancasteren

Thanks for sharing the pbix. May I know what you'd like to show in the left visual? I see there's two measures "Percentagesbelangveiligheid" and "PercentageBRDVeiligheid" in the values fields, both will be evaluated according to the column "Hoe zou u de onderstaande aspecten in het gebied Stappegoor beoordelen? (1 = zeer slecht, 5 = zee...-Veiligheid", and I think those measure are just working as they shall.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Tijevancasteren

What is the value filed of the column chart? Is 628 the total survey amount?

Try to create a measure and put the measure to the value field.

percentages =
DIVIDE (
    COUNT ( yourTable[unpivotColumn] ),
    CALCULATE ( DISTINCTCOUNT ( yourTable[surveryID] ), ALLSELECTED ( yourTable ) )
)

If it is not your case, please post more details about your dataset.

@Eric_Zhang

Thanks for you reply. I tried your measure, but theres an error in displaying the data, so I figured im doing something wrong.  628 is indeed the total amount of respondents/surveys. My table looks like this.Bekendheidtable.JPG

The first column has the respondent ID, the second is the unpivoted column, and the 3rd column is filled with 1's. My measure was like this:

Percentages =
DIVIDE (
COUNT ( 'Bekendheid (2)'[BekendheidOndernemingen]);
CALCULATE ( DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'Bekendheid (2)'[Respondentnummer] ); ALLSELECTED ( 'Bekendheid (2)' ) )
)

When I click details it shows me this:

Error Message:

MdxScript(Model) (3, 13) Calculation error in measure 'Bekendheid (2)'[percentages]: The function COUNT takes an argument that evaluates to numbers or dates and cannot work with values of type String.

I think it means the 2nd column with the company names, but that is indeed a text string!

@Tijevancasteren

Try to replace "COUNT" with "COUNTA".

Thanks! This worked for that table. I tried to use this solution on another table. I have a table with two stacks, one for the rating of a subject, and one for the importance of a subject. The measures in the table on the right of the picture are correct.

When I put them together in 1 table, as shown on the left, the bottom right value has changed. What am I missing?

@Tijevancasteren wrote:

@Tijevancasteren

Thanks for sharing the pbix. May I know what you'd like to show in the left visual? I see there's two measures "Percentagesbelangveiligheid" and "PercentageBRDVeiligheid" in the values fields, both will be evaluated according to the column "Hoe zou u de onderstaande aspecten in het gebied Stappegoor beoordelen? (1 = zeer slecht, 5 = zee...-Veiligheid", and I think those measure are just working as they shall.

@Eric_ZhangThanks, it seems you are right and I overlooked it somehow!

@Tijevancasteren wrote:

I can't get the reason from the snapshot, would you mind sharing the pbix file? You can upload it to a network drive and share me the link, do mask sensitive data before sharing.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors