Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculating multiple column values using a row value

See there're 2 tables Table 1 & Table 2.

I need to get the sum for row values of table 1 from columns of table 2.

Mindstine_0-1639042120589.png

Mindstine_1-1639035227381.png

6 REPLIES 6
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to your description, here's my solution.

1.Create relationship between the two tables.

vkalyjmsft_2-1639387795465.png

2.Create a measure in the table1.

Total Sum = 
SWITCH (
    MAX ( 'Table1'[Type] ),
    "SalesA", MAX ( 'Table2'[SalesA] ),
    "SalesB", MAX ( 'Table2'[SalesB] ),
    "SalesC", MAX ( 'Table2'[SalesC] ),
    "SalesD", MAX ( 'Table2'[SalesD] ),
    "SalesE", MAX ( 'Table2'[SalesE] ),
    "SalesF", MAX ( 'Table2'[SalesF] )
)

3.Put Range of table2 , Type of table and the measure into the table visual, get the expected result.

vkalyjmsft_3-1639387894652.png

I attach my sample below for reference.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear, v-kalyj-msft

I figured it out using the below formula, your solution is quite impressive as well but I don't need max values but the sum of all values in respective columns. The below formula worked for me (Type is renamed to Sum Column)

Total Sum = IF(Master[Sum Column] ="sales A",CALCULATE(SUMX('Store Report','Store Report'[sales A])),IF(Master[Sum Column]="sales B",CALCULATE(SUMX('Store Report','Store Report'[Sales B])),IF(Master[Sum Column]="Sales C",CALCULATE(SUMX('Store Report','Store Report'[Sales C])),IF(Master[Sum Column]="sales D",CALCULATE(SUMX('Store Report','Store Report'[sales D])),IF(Master[Sum Column]="Sales E",CALCULATE(SUMX('Store Report','Store Report'[Sales E])),IF(Master[Sum Column]="Sales F",CALCULATE(SUMX('Store Report','Store Report'[Sales F])),IF(Master[Sum Column]="Sales G",CALCULATE(SUMX('Store Report','Store Report'[Sales G])),IF(Master[Sum Column]="Sales H",CALCULATE(SUMX('Store Report','Store Report'[Sales H])),IF(Master[Sum Column]="Sales I",CALCULATE(SUMX('Store Report','Store Report'[Sales I])),IF(Master[Sum Column]="Sales J",CALCULATE(SUMX('Store Report','Store Report'[Sales J])),IF(Master[Sum Column]="Sales K",CALCULATE(SUMX('Store Report','Store Report'[Sales K])),IF(Master[Sum Column]="Sales L",CALCULATE(SUMX('Store Report','Store Report'[Sales L])),IF(Master[Sum Column]="Sales M",CALCULATE(SUMX('Store Report','Store Report'[Sales M])),0)))))))))))))
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

First, you need unpivot our Table 2 so you will have three columns as you need in Power Query:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vff2kRBM95o

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Anonymous
Not applicable

I already tried unpivoting the columns but it would increase the loading time way more for the data is more then 100Mn rows. if i don't unpivot the loading time is 2 minutes approx but if i do the loading time jumps to 1hr.

@Anonymous 
I would still advise you to re-organize your data as you have a large amount. You have it done at the source level. You can request your data source owner to do it for you. 

Doing it dax is painful and will cause memory and performance issues:

However, You can try this approach with DAX  with UNION and SELECTCOLUMNS : https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50213905/is-it-possible-to-unpivot-in-power-bi-using-dax

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have managed to do so using if sum & calculate but the result is constant and would not change as per any applied slicer but thanks a lot for reaching out (Y)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.