Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculating most recent previous value from another column

Hi everyone - I'm looking for guidance or examples about a calculation.

To simplify my scenario, let's say I have a building. This building can hold a certain number of items (a limit). That limit can change over time, and the value is provided irregularly. I also have daily observations about how many items are actually in that building. For each of those observations, I also want to show the most recently reported limit.

SiteDateActual ValueMost recent actual value
Site A1-Jun1010
Site A2-Jun 10
Site A3-Jun 10
Site A4-Jun 10
Site A5-Jun 10
Site A6-Jun200200
Site A7-Jun 200
Site A8-Jun 200
Site A9-Jun 200
Site A10-Jun 200
Site B1-Jun3030
Site B2-Jun 30
Site B3-Jun 30
Site B4-Jun100100
Site B5-Jun 100

I can't quite figure this out in DAX... I think this needs to be a new calculated column instead of a measure in order to calculate a value for each date and site. LASTDATE does not work because it looks only at the latest value instead of the most recent one relative to each date.

Any suggestions or examples? Thank you for ideas!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can create a measure as below:

Measure = 
var _curdate=MAX('Table'[Date])
var _predate=CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Date]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Date]<_curdate&&NOT(ISBLANK('Table'[Actual Value]))))
var _prenum=CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Actual Value]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Date]=_predate&&'Table'[Site]=MAX('Table'[Site])))
return if(ISBLANK(MAX('Table'[Actual Value])),_prenum,MAX('Table'[Actual Value]))

create measure.JPG

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can create a measure as below:

Measure = 
var _curdate=MAX('Table'[Date])
var _predate=CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Date]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Date]<_curdate&&NOT(ISBLANK('Table'[Actual Value]))))
var _prenum=CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Actual Value]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Date]=_predate&&'Table'[Site]=MAX('Table'[Site])))
return if(ISBLANK(MAX('Table'[Actual Value])),_prenum,MAX('Table'[Actual Value]))

create measure.JPG

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

Give this a try.

Column = 
VAR _RowDate = 'Table'[Date]
RETURN
CALCULATE(LASTNONBLANK('Table'[Actual Value],TRUE()),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Site]),'Table'[Date] <= _RowDate)

jdbuchanan71_0-1594326799105.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.