Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Coryanthony
Helper III
Helper III

Calculating hours worked

Hi,

I am attemping to calculate the sum of allowed $ based on hours worked on a given day. I currently enter time on several rows since different chargecodes are involved.

7/1/2022 | 5 hours

7/1/2022 | 3 hours

7/1/2022 | 2 hours

Then i am calculating the sum based on day, this determines the allowed $. Since I work over 10hrs on 7/1/22, I should be allowed 32, instead its multiplying by 3 (# of rows). Displaying my allowed as 96. 

Additionally, for the days where no time(hours) was entered, i am getting a blank. I would prefer to be a 0 rather than empty/blank.

Coryanthony_0-1672991544562.png

Coryanthony_1-1672991558217.png

My Current Allowed calculated column is: 

$Allowed =
var _sum = CALCULATE(SUM('Merge1'[Hours]),FILTER(ALLEXCEPT('Merge1','Merge1'[employee id],'Merge1'[date]),'Merge1'[Hours]))
return
 IF(_sum>=4 && _sum<8 && Merge1[Holiday] = "Yes",12, IF(_sum>=8 && Merge1[Holiday] = "Yes",32, IF(_sum>=10 &&'Merge1'[Day of Week]>=0 && 'Merge1'[Day of Week]<=4,20, IF(_sum>=4 && _sum<8 && 'Merge1'[Day of Week]>=5,12, IF(_sum>=8 && 'Merge1'[Day of Week]>=5,32,0)))))

Thank you for the assitance and time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pi_eye
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi @Coryanthony  

What's happening here is that the calculated column makes a value for $allowed on every single row of data. As there are 3 rows for 7/1/22, naturally there are 3 repeated values of $allowed.

When $Allowed is dropped into a table, it is a number and will be automatically aggregated which is causing those values to Sum. 

There are a few things you can do to change this:

1) Change the model so that there is a separate table dimension for employee & date

This will then return just the one value for every combination of the above

2) Create a measure that aggregates your existing $allowed column as appropriate
In the UI, create a measure. Here I've just taken a flat average
Allowed_Aggr = AVERAGE(Merge1[$Allowed])
You will need to tweak this to sum properly depending on the context that you are going to use. The average above will work for combinations of Employee & Date, but will need changing depending on how you handle totals
pi_eye_1-1672999032726.png

3) Change $Allocation to a measure rather than a calculated column

This could have performance implications, but the equivalent of your calculation above, as a measure would be:

Allowed_As_Measure = 
SumX(SUMMARIZE(
        Merge1,
        Merge1[Employee ID],Merge1[Date],Merge1[Holiday],Merge1[Day of Week],
        "DailyHrs",sum(Merge1[Hours])),
    SWITCH(TRUE,
        [DailyHrs]>=4 && [DailyHrs]<8 && Merge1[Holiday] = "Yes" ,12,
        [DailyHrs]>=8 && Merge1[Holiday] = "Yes" ,32,
        [DailyHrs]>=10 &&'Merge1'[Day of Week]<=4,20,
        [DailyHrs]>=4 && [DailyHrs]<8 && 'Merge1'[Day of Week]>=5,12,
        [DailyHrs]>=8 && 'Merge1'[Day of Week]>=5,32,
    ))
pi_eye_2-1672999938929.png

In this, I am assuming that the totals need to be summed. I have also replaced the if statements with a switch() - this is a much cleaner way to introduce much logic.

In addition to the above, notice how changing to a measure introduces "0" instead of blank.
HTH

Pi

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
thx
Frequent Visitor

@Coryanthony 

please let me know if you rectify. Thx 

thx
Frequent Visitor

Was this solved? Anyone has thoughts on this ? 

pi_eye
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi @Coryanthony  

What's happening here is that the calculated column makes a value for $allowed on every single row of data. As there are 3 rows for 7/1/22, naturally there are 3 repeated values of $allowed.

When $Allowed is dropped into a table, it is a number and will be automatically aggregated which is causing those values to Sum. 

There are a few things you can do to change this:

1) Change the model so that there is a separate table dimension for employee & date

This will then return just the one value for every combination of the above

2) Create a measure that aggregates your existing $allowed column as appropriate
In the UI, create a measure. Here I've just taken a flat average
Allowed_Aggr = AVERAGE(Merge1[$Allowed])
You will need to tweak this to sum properly depending on the context that you are going to use. The average above will work for combinations of Employee & Date, but will need changing depending on how you handle totals
pi_eye_1-1672999032726.png

3) Change $Allocation to a measure rather than a calculated column

This could have performance implications, but the equivalent of your calculation above, as a measure would be:

Allowed_As_Measure = 
SumX(SUMMARIZE(
        Merge1,
        Merge1[Employee ID],Merge1[Date],Merge1[Holiday],Merge1[Day of Week],
        "DailyHrs",sum(Merge1[Hours])),
    SWITCH(TRUE,
        [DailyHrs]>=4 && [DailyHrs]<8 && Merge1[Holiday] = "Yes" ,12,
        [DailyHrs]>=8 && Merge1[Holiday] = "Yes" ,32,
        [DailyHrs]>=10 &&'Merge1'[Day of Week]<=4,20,
        [DailyHrs]>=4 && [DailyHrs]<8 && 'Merge1'[Day of Week]>=5,12,
        [DailyHrs]>=8 && 'Merge1'[Day of Week]>=5,32,
    ))
pi_eye_2-1672999938929.png

In this, I am assuming that the totals need to be summed. I have also replaced the if statements with a switch() - this is a much cleaner way to introduce much logic.

In addition to the above, notice how changing to a measure introduces "0" instead of blank.
HTH

Pi

Hi @pi_eye 

I love the measure! It is doing exactly what i've spent half of day attemping to figure out. 

Follow up question if I may. On days an employee submits >1 expense, on a different report number, it is doubling the allowed amount. Please see snippet. would you happen to have any solution for this? I would like it to only display the allowed amount for that day (not based on amount of reports submitted. 

Coryanthony_0-1673016453301.png

On 11/22/2022, 2 reports were submitted; therefore, it is calculating $20 for both reports, rathan than only $20 for that day.

Additionally, it appears i am getting a blank rather than 0 on days time was not supposed.

Thank you again for your time, much appreciated :).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.