Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bourne2000
Helper V
Helper V

Calculating fiscal year using DAX function?

Hi

I have two tables one is a transaction and another one is a date table

The transaction table has two columns category, and amount. I have ten categories in the category table. I need to filter only three category. Date table has a date and year column.

I want to calculate the fiscal year (7/1/2017- 6/30/2018) using the DAX function.

Need output as below,

CategoryFiscal Year amount
B15000
C2000
D9000

When I use Filter for category and Date, I am able to get the above results. However, when I use the below DAX function, I am getting a different value as well as unable to filter the categories.

fiscial year= TOTALYTD(SUM(TRANSACTIONS[AMOUNT]), DATE[DATE], "6/30")

I need to use the Dax function for both filters and calculating fiscal year. Please advise.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiaotang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bourne2000 

Not clear about your data model and table structure, so I create a sample, it may give you pointers. See sample file attached below.

-

Create a measure,

Measure = 
VAR _enddate=DATE(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[fiscal year]),6,30)
var _firstdate = EDATE(_enddate,-12)
return 
CALCULATE(SUM(TRANSACTIONS[AMOUNT]),FILTER(TRANSACTIONS,TRANSACTIONS[DATE]<=_enddate&&TRANSACTIONS[DATE]>_firstdate))

Result:

v-xiaotang_2-1620969218158.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-xiaotang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bourne2000 

Not clear about your data model and table structure, so I create a sample, it may give you pointers. See sample file attached below.

-

Create a measure,

Measure = 
VAR _enddate=DATE(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[fiscal year]),6,30)
var _firstdate = EDATE(_enddate,-12)
return 
CALCULATE(SUM(TRANSACTIONS[AMOUNT]),FILTER(TRANSACTIONS,TRANSACTIONS[DATE]<=_enddate&&TRANSACTIONS[DATE]>_firstdate))

Result:

v-xiaotang_2-1620969218158.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@bourne2000 , This seems correct.

fiscial year= TOTALYTD(SUM(TRANSACTIONS[AMOUNT]), DATE[DATE], "6/30")

You will have YTD for each category. I think YTD will not sum up across category

@amitchandak  Fiscal year values are not matching when I use the Dax function. It's correct when I use date slicer. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.