Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wirednorth
Frequent Visitor

Calculating distinct count of items based on average sales thresholds, summarized by fiscal year

Hello!

First, thank you to all the up-until-now users of this forum-- the community content has helped me out of a number of jams, and I've learned a bunch. I haven't quite been able to successfully search for what's tripping me up here, though.

I'm having a heck of a time computing a particular summary of item sales performance: the goal is to aggregate all active products by fiscal year, and to separate those items into buckets according to their average sales per week, per location. The output should look something like this, in which each of the threshold columns sum to equal a count of total active products:

ideal table.PNG

However, my output keeps turning out like this:

bad result.PNG

Here's what I have currently for DAX:

Example of the (improperly functioning) threshold calculations:

Average Sales < 0.10 =
CALCULATE(
DISTINCTCOUNT('Data Table'[Item ID]),
FILTER('Data Table',[Avg. Sales per Store] < 0.1)
)

Other measures used:
Avg. Sales per Store = [Gross Sales] / [Store Opp Count]
Gross Sales = SUM('Data Table'[UNITS_SOLD])
Store Opp Count = SUM('Data Table'[ACTIVE_LOCATION_CT])

(the idea here is that the [Avg. Sales per Store] measure always reflects (Sales/# of Stores), regardless of the number of locations or weeks in consideration.)

And here's an example of how the underlying data is structured:
base table example.PNG

Just to throw in some additional information: I also tried calculating the threshold measures in an alternate way (based on some prior searches); it yielded the correct evaluations at the item level (in that, when drilled to item, each fell into the correct bucket based on the [Avg. Sales per Store] calculation), but it did not aggregate to Fiscal Year correctly. Example of that DAX:

Avg. Sales < 0.10 =
VAR AvgSalesStore = SUM('Data Table'[UNITS_SOLD])/SUM('Data Table'[ACTIVE_LOCATION_CT])
RETURN
CALCULATE(
DISTINCTCOUNT('Data Table'[Item ID]),
FILTER('Data Table', AvgSalesStore < .1)
)

Thanks for your help, and please let me know if you'd like me to provide any additional detail.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @wirednorth 

You may refer to this post to create the measure.For example:

Count =
VAR _table =
    SUMMARIZE (
        'Data Table',
        'Data Table'[FISC_YR_NM],
        "Avg", SUM ( 'Data Table'[UNITS_SOLD] ) / SUM ( 'Data Table'[ACTIVE_LOCATION_CT] )
    )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'Data Table'[Item ID] ),
        FILTER ( _table, [Avg] < 0.1 )
    )

If it is not your case,please share a simplified sample and expected output. You can upload it to OneDrive and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @wirednorth 

You may refer to this post to create the measure.For example:

Count =
VAR _table =
    SUMMARIZE (
        'Data Table',
        'Data Table'[FISC_YR_NM],
        "Avg", SUM ( 'Data Table'[UNITS_SOLD] ) / SUM ( 'Data Table'[ACTIVE_LOCATION_CT] )
    )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'Data Table'[Item ID] ),
        FILTER ( _table, [Avg] < 0.1 )
    )

If it is not your case,please share a simplified sample and expected output. You can upload it to OneDrive and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Cherie,

Thank you for your guidance on this. I was able to get everything working quite quickly with the solution you outlined.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.