Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Antonio195754
Helper IV
Helper IV

Calculating distance from a source location to multiple destinations using long and lat

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Antonio195754 here is the solution, you can make the changes as per your need. I guess you have starting point, but feel free to reach out if need further help.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Antonio195754 I assume you have relationship between these table, 1 to many (1 side is Airport table and many side is cell phone towers tables), can you please confirmt this? Also if you can post some example airport and cell towers in excel sheet, it will help to get you the solution. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

will do

@Antonio195754 two things:

- screen shot is good but for teting the solution, it is good to get data in excel so that we can import on our end in powerbi.

- in your model,  your airport code is unique?

@Antonio195754 No worries. Unfortunately you cannot uploade it here, you can share thru one drive or google drive and share the link here. 

@Antonio195754 seems like it is not shared publically, it is asking me to login.

@Antonio195754 this link worked, let's what we can do here. i think the task is to select an airport and then give the distance of all towers from that airport location, correct?

@parry2k   http://radacad.com/dynamic-distances-in-power-bi

I found this blog that was probably the closest i got to achieving what i was looking for, but it didn't work for me b/c how i setup (Most likely did it incorrect when i was converting bloggers naming conventions and data points over to what i had, i'm sure i picked the wrong items to plug in).

@Antonio195754 here is the solution, you can make the changes as per your need. I guess you have starting point, but feel free to reach out if need further help.

much appreciated

@Antonio195754 thanks for reaching out and shouting my name. Never hesitate to reach out and always open for challenging tasks.  I will take a look and might have questions, if you are ok, you can PM me and that way we can share email or skype for quick commuication otherwise there will be lot of spam on this post with yes/no kind of answers and might not be very useful for future readers. Just an idea.

Cheers!!

P

@Antonio195754 solution attached. There are few things I did, check page 2.

Created a new table by joining both airports and towers and added new kms distance field, also added a slicer to pick the distance range.

I saw your PM, I will send my skype info there and we can chat if you have any question or need change. I also renamed the columns in Power Query whcih were not required thou.

Hey @parry2k ,

love that!

Greetings,

Tom

@parry2k wrote:

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

@Antonio195754 beautiful, glad to hear. Cheers!!!

Hey @Antonio195754 

as @parry2k already mentioned it would be helpful to get sample data and if a 1 to many relationship can be established.

This link might be helpful, as you will see there are some things to consider to calculate the distance between two points if want or have to consider that this thing we live on, behaves like a globe 🙂

https://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/latlong.html

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Thanks @TomMartens 

@Antonio195754 read this post from @Greg_Deckler regarding how to get answer quickly. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.