Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

trotsale
Regular Visitor

Calculating difference between rows by date

Hello!

I have a problem and here it is:

In my Power Bi I have a table with report which is getting data from local folder. A key is date, which is adding as a column on every refresh. It looks like this: Capture.PNG

I already have a measure which counts number of devices by date, it seems like

DevicesByDate = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Table');DISTINCT('Table'[Date]))

But I can`t get a measure which will substract number of DevicesByDate from previous date (Example: 4 devices by 08/15/2017-4 devices by 07/21/2017 = 0). 

Can you please help me guys?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @trotsale

Try out this method. This method grabs the device ids from last month and subtracts them from device ids this month.

DevicesByDate difference last month compared to this month = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Test');DISTINCT('Test'[Date]);DATEADD(DATESBETWEEN(Test[Date];STARTOFMONTH(Test[Date]);ENDOFMONTH(Test[Date]));-1;MONTH)) - CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Test');DISTINCT('Test'[Date]);DATESINPERIOD(Test[Date];LASTDATE(Test[Date]);-1;MONTH)) 

Best,

Martin

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Off the top of my head have you tried another calculation which would use the PREVIOUSDAY DAX function?

Devices Previous Day = CALCULATE([Devices],PREVIOUSDAY('Date Table'[Date]))

You would need to have a Date table in order for this to work. I think it might look for the Previous Day being 08/14/2017 though.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @trotsale

Try out this method. This method grabs the device ids from last month and subtracts them from device ids this month.

DevicesByDate difference last month compared to this month = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Test');DISTINCT('Test'[Date]);DATEADD(DATESBETWEEN(Test[Date];STARTOFMONTH(Test[Date]);ENDOFMONTH(Test[Date]));-1;MONTH)) - CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Test');DISTINCT('Test'[Date]);DATESINPERIOD(Test[Date];LASTDATE(Test[Date]);-1;MONTH)) 

Best,

Martin

Anonymous
Not applicable

@trotsale Did it work out for you?

Thank you so much for help! 

It works now, but it displays uptake only when graphic is shown by quarter or year. When I choose display by month, It shows me number of devices. Maybe I should change dates period?By yearBy year

By monthBy month

I`ve tried this and here is what i got:

graphics.PNG

Here is the way I used DAX: dax.PNG

My DateTable consists of 2 dates (07/21/2017 and 08/14/2017). Am I doing something wrong?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors