Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rudivs
Frequent Visitor

Calculating composite totals including related tables

I am trying to calculate the total expenses that have been spent on particular Households. I have the following tables defined: Household, Beneficiary, Care Unit and Bank Transaction (the fact table), with the basic (simplified) properties and relationships as in the image below, and the following general properties:

• Bank Transactions have a column for Care Unit ID, which can be null. The Care Unit is used to designate who benefited from an expense, and it can be either a Household (for example, paying for groceries that benefit everyone) or it could be a Beneficiary (for example, school fees that benefits one person). There is a 1:many relationship between Care Unit and Bank Transactions.
  • Household has a column for Care Unit ID which is never null, but can be "Unassigned" if a Care Unit ID has not been created for it yet. There is a 1:1 bidirectional relationship between Care Unit and Houshold in Power BI.
  • Beneficiary has a column for Care Unit ID which can be null. There is a 1:many relationship between Household and Beneficiary. Every Beneficiary belongs to a Household. There is a 1:many inactive relationship between Beneficiary and Care Unit (it won't let me make it 1:1 even though there would only ever be 1 Beneficiary per Care Unit ID and vice versa).

Tables and relationshipsTables and relationships

I can make a table showing all the expenses that have been allocated directly to a particular Household, but I would like to get a composite total showing the amount allocated to a Household and its Beneficiaries. Is there a recommended way to do this?

Here is some sample data:

Care Unit

Care Unit ID | Care Unit Name
=============+================
135530       | Maluleka
135485       | Malepane
171185       | Tshepo Maluleka
135692 | Sara Maluleka

Household

ID |Care Unit ID | Household Name
===+=============+================
1  | 135530      | Maluleka
2  | 135485      | Malepane
3 | Unassigned | Ndlovu

Beneficiary

ID |Care Unit ID | Beneficiary Name | Household ID
===+=============+==================+==============
1  | 171185      | Tshepo Maluleka  | 1
2 | 135692 | Sara Maluleka | 1
2 | Unassigned | Maria Ndlovu | 3

Bank Transactions

ID | Description    | Amount  | Care Unit ID 
===+================+=========+==============
1  | Groceries      | 150.00  | 135530
2  | School uniform | 500.00  | 171185
3 | Rent | 1000.00 | 135485
4 | Creche fees | 300.00 | 135692
4 | Transport | 250.00 | null

I would like to be able to produce the following table in a visualisation:

Household | Total Expenses 
==========+================ Maluleka | 950.00 Malepane | 1000.00

At the moment, I can only get to:

Household | Total Expenses 
==========+================ Maluleka | 150.00 Malepane | 1000.00

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @rudivs,

Please download the demo in the attachment. I would suggest you share a pbix file next time. 

1. Create a measure. Please be aware of the "unassigned" could be a valid relationship.

Measure =
CALCULATE (
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( 'Bank Transactions'[Amount] ),
        USERELATIONSHIP ( Beneficiary[Care Unit ID], 'Care Unit'[Care Unit ID] )
    )
        + SUM ( 'Bank Transactions'[Amount] ),
    ISBLANK ( Household[Care Unit ID] ) = FALSE ()
)

Calculating-composite-totals-including-related-tables

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
LivioLanzo
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @rudivs

is it safe to say that the people within the same household belong to the same Care Unit, so there's a 1 to many between Care Unit and Beneficiaries

Did I answer your question correctly? Mark my answer as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

@LivioLanzo

There is a direct relationship between Care Unit and Beneficiaries, but also an indirect relationship via households (a Care Unit could link to a Household or a Beneficiary; a Beneficiary can be part of up to two Care Units: one directly, and one via Household). Perhaps Allocation Unit would be a better term to use than Care Unit. I've edited my original question to add some sample data that I hope will make this clearer.

Hi @rudivs,

Please download the demo in the attachment. I would suggest you share a pbix file next time. 

1. Create a measure. Please be aware of the "unassigned" could be a valid relationship.

Measure =
CALCULATE (
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( 'Bank Transactions'[Amount] ),
        USERELATIONSHIP ( Beneficiary[Care Unit ID], 'Care Unit'[Care Unit ID] )
    )
        + SUM ( 'Bank Transactions'[Amount] ),
    ISBLANK ( Household[Care Unit ID] ) = FALSE ()
)

Calculating-composite-totals-including-related-tables

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Dale,

Thank you, I came to the same solution (for some reason my post was marked as spam, so I couldn't update it). You are right about unassigned. The reason why I could create the 1:1 relationship with Households was that there was only one "unassigned" row. Beneficiaries wouldn't let me do it because there were multiple "unassigned" rows. In the end I used Power Query to update the Care Unit ID in the Household and Beneficiary tables using the ID column to ensure uniqueness:

= Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type",each [Care Unit ID],each if [Care Unit ID] = null then "Unsassigned"&Number.ToText([ID], "D", "") else [Care Unit ID],Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Care Unit ID"})

That let me create a 1:1 relationship with Households (active), and a 1:1 relationship with Beneficiaries (inactive). Next time I will share a pbix.

Thanks again,

Rudi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.