Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculating average of products sold

Hi

I'm pretty sure there's some very basic error i'm doing.

My company sells cars. Each car sold has a price, based on its model.

So I have a table SALES that has one row for each sales, with a salesid number and a reference to the MODEL table. So there's a relationship (bidirectional) between SALES and MODEL.

Now, I can sell many times the same model so if I choose a certain date range i can have something like

SALESID | MODELID | PRICE

123  | 789 | 10.000

124  | 342 | 15.000

125  | 789 | 10.000

So as you can see several sales can reference the same MODEL.

Now if put this data in a table and calculate the average of PRICE the number is not correct. My feeling (I have thousands of rows so not easy to debug) is that PowerBi is calculating (10.000+15.000)/2 instead of (10.000+15.000+10.000)/3 because it sees 2 unique rows in MODEL table.

I'm a novice and I'm pretty sure that this is basic mistake, can you help me? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

After reading a few docs online I think that the main mistake is that I've put a fact value in a dimension (price should be in the SALES table rather than in the PRODUCT one). I'll rewrite my model moving data in there.

If I get it right, what powerbi does is to select each product that comes from the join (regardless of how many times it has been sold) and averages that.

Noob mistake 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
gipiluso
Resolver II
Resolver II

if the expected result is (10.000+15.000+10.000)/3 powerbi should work well.

have a look at the pbix attached

avg_price.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Then there's something very weird. See image, if you calculate the average values of the last column, it's 13.565. But Powerbi shows 12.766. Where's my mistake?

image.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see what happens. PowerBI takes one value for each id_vehicle and count them only once, then calculates the average.
So it's (11900+17550+11850+11900+11050+12350)/6 and makes 12.766

It's an expected behaviour?

it is not expected.

As per my example should calculate the average of each single value (see this pbix).

It should not be related but in any case I will remove the possibility to summurize by id column (ie: set do not summarize on id_vehicle_historical )

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks gipiluso, did what you suggested but didn't help

So, just to recap

- there is a SALES table with a bidirectional join with a PRODUCT table (there are also COUNTRY and DATE dims)

- each sale has a product key to the PRODUCT table, with a one-to-many relationship

- I choose a date period and a country and a subset of SALES is selected (and you can see that the column "lead id" is different)

- a unique row of the PRODUCT table (i.e. vehicle) is selected with his price and the average of the prices is not the correct one.

What is wrong in here?

image.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

by the way i've downloaded you pbix and it's made of one single table. If I create a two table model from your data, it does have the same "problem".

There must be a serious conceptual mistake on my side

Anonymous
Not applicable

After reading a few docs online I think that the main mistake is that I've put a fact value in a dimension (price should be in the SALES table rather than in the PRODUCT one). I'll rewrite my model moving data in there.

If I get it right, what powerbi does is to select each product that comes from the join (regardless of how many times it has been sold) and averages that.

Noob mistake 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.