Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Afkkek
Frequent Visitor

Calculating an Average of previous rows in the Total

Hello, was having trouble with a calculation so thought I'd drop by here and see if anyone had any ideas to solve the issue.

In the below screenshot of an excel mockup, I have Column A which is a column from one table, and Column B which is a column from a different table, and then A/C which is just a measure which divides Column A by Column B.  This is repeated for each year.

Afkkek_0-1618862623154.png

The Grand Total would end up summing all of Column A and Column B, then repeating the measure's instructions of dividing A/C which I understand is what it's supposed to be doing, but any suggestions on how I would I go about it if I wanted to take a simple average of all the results of Column A/C?  The result of dividing the totals would be 0.05 in this case, but the average of (0.1, 0.025, 0.0833 and -0.05) would be 0.039583 in this example.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
FrankAT
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Afkkek ,

here is my suggestion:

Sum of A = SUM('Table'[A])

Sum of B = SUM('Table'[B])

A/B = 
IF (
    HASONEVALUE ( 'Table'[Year] ),
    DIVIDE ( [Sum of A], [Sum of B] ),
    AVERAGEX ( 'Table', DIVIDE ( [Sum of A], [Sum of B] ) )
)

19-04-_2021_23-04-43.png

With kind regards from the town where the legend of the 'Pied Piper of Hamelin' is at home
FrankAT (Proud to be a Datanaut)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
FrankAT
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Afkkek ,

here is my suggestion:

Sum of A = SUM('Table'[A])

Sum of B = SUM('Table'[B])

A/B = 
IF (
    HASONEVALUE ( 'Table'[Year] ),
    DIVIDE ( [Sum of A], [Sum of B] ),
    AVERAGEX ( 'Table', DIVIDE ( [Sum of A], [Sum of B] ) )
)

19-04-_2021_23-04-43.png

With kind regards from the town where the legend of the 'Pied Piper of Hamelin' is at home
FrankAT (Proud to be a Datanaut)

Thanks FrankAT! I ended up making it work on the side with a needlessly complicated approach, but your solution is much more intuitive.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.