Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

boyddt_mn
Helper III
Helper III

Calculating Wait Times

This question ties into my previous question at
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/User-only-the-most-current-row-of-an-order/m-p/1156527#M523...

In the SAP_WIP.rpt.xlsx file I have a wait column configured to get the logic sorted out and it works. This column is not in SQL which will be the source of data so I need to move this to Power BI.

File location Sample files 

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@boyddt_mn - I do not understand how wait time is calculated. Please first check if your issue is a common issue listed here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Before-You-Post-Read-This/ba-p/1116882

Also, please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

The most important parts are:
1. Sample data as text, use the table tool in the editing bar
2. Expected output from sample data
3. Explanation in words of how to get from 1. to 2.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Ok, from the sample excel spreadsheet this is the formula

=IF(C11=10,IF(D11="NULL",NETWORKDAYS(E11,TODAY()),0),IF(OR(AND(D11<>"NULL",D10<>"NULL"),AND(D11="NULL",D10="NULL")),0,NETWORKDAYS(D10,TODAY())))

If OpAc (C11) is 10 then this is the first operation. We then check to see if the Posting Date (D11) is NULL, if it is then the operation has not been completed. Wait Time is then calculated as the difference between today and Actual Release Date (E11). If Posting Date has a date then we set Wait Time (J11) as 0 since that operation is finished.
If OpAc (C11) is not 10 then we check to se if both D11 and D10 are either both not NULL or both are NULL. This determines if line 11 is either complete or not the active operation, in which case a zero is assigned to Wait Time (J11). If neither of these conditions are true the Wait Time (J11) is calculated using the difference between today and the Posting Date (D10) of the previously completed step

File location Sample files 
The two files are Community_Example_SAPWIP.pbix & SAP_WIP.rpt.xlsx

Thank you for you support

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.