Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculating Variance: Multiple Years on a table

Hi, 

I am wanting to show the variance in this table between the different years (Compare 2016 to 2015 and 2015 to 2014. 

var.png

I am unsure how to achieve this result. 

Any advice?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

In order for the user to control 2 different dates, it's probably best to have 2 different date tables.  (I could imagine also using a single table and using MIN / MAX to choose the years, but that feels weird to me).

Then you are sorta doing "sales, as filtered by date table 1" and "sales, as filtered by date table 2", then another measure to compare those.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are going to need more info.  For starters - do you have a separate date table, connected to your raw data by date?

At any rate, you will find useful patterns on  Period Comparisons here:

http://www.daxpatterns.com/time-patterns/

Anonymous
Not applicable

I merged the date table within my raw data table. I have columns that pull out the year, month, and day from the original date column. This seems to have always worked just as much as a separate date table would. 

I know the formula for variance, and I could easily create the measure if there were just 2 years, but I'm unsure how to do it with multiple years.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your examples are all comparisons to the prior year (2015 vs 2014)... is that always the case, or do you mean possibly 2016 vs 2014?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Whatever two years that the user chooses; I want there to be a variance Column that shows what the pecentage between those years are on the table.

If there is an easier solution to show the variance, other than a table, I'm willing to try it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

In order for the user to control 2 different dates, it's probably best to have 2 different date tables.  (I could imagine also using a single table and using MIN / MAX to choose the years, but that feels weird to me).

Then you are sorta doing "sales, as filtered by date table 1" and "sales, as filtered by date table 2", then another measure to compare those.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.