Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

HenryJS
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Calculating Time from Start & End Times

Hi all,

How can I calculate the hours between two start / end times? The below formula does not calculate the hours correcly

Engage Hours per day = ([Start]-[End])

time3.PNG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @HenryJS ,

You could use Time.Hour() in query editor.

if [Start]>[End] then
24-Time.Hour([Start])+Time.Hour([End])
else Time.Hour([End])-Time.Hour([Start])

Here is the result.

2-1.PNG

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @HenryJS ,

Does that make sense? If so kindly mark my answer as a solution to close the case. Thanks in advance.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @HenryJS ,

Does that make sense? If so kindly mark my answer as a solution to close the case. Thanks in advance.

v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @HenryJS ,

You could use Time.Hour() in query editor.

if [Start]>[End] then
24-Time.Hour([Start])+Time.Hour([End])
else Time.Hour([End])-Time.Hour([Start])

Here is the result.

2-1.PNG

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@HenryJS try this expression

Column = DATEDIFF ( [Column1], [Column2], HOUR)

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k unfortunately that didn't work, please see below

time4.PNG

@HenryJS , The formula of @parry2k  will give the whole number. Not time.

You can do like

time([Date diff],0,0)

or

https://radacad.com/calculate-duration-in-days-hours-minutes-and-seconds-dynamically-in-power-bi-usi...

@amitchandak @parry2k how do I get the time?

@HenryJS , That is what your initial formula was doing ? was it a measure or column?

@amitchandak @parry2k I have two columns 'Start' and 'End' both 'Time' data type.

I need a new column which calculates the hours difference between the start and end times.

Is this possible?

@HenryJS we already gave you a solution, why you are asking the same question. Can you add a new column based on the expression I posted.

Your existing column has a time format because your original calculation was [Start] - [End] which returned time.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

@parry2k please see below, the whole number is incorrect

time5.PNG

@HenryJS what suppose to be the number?

@parry2k  20:00pm - 05:00am should be a duration of 09:00 hours

@HenryJS you have to add a date identifier to make it happen because simple time doesn't know if it is the same date or future date.

@HenryJS you should keep the type of this new column to be a whole number, not time and I guess that is the issue. And as a best practice, always use table name with the columns in the DAX expression, not just column name and for measures never use the table name.

@HenryJS what is the data type of these columns?

@parry2k 'time'

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.