Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Johnsnowlife
Helper III
Helper III

Calculating Product of Instrument Contributions

I'm trying to calculate the contribution of my underlying holdings to my portfolio return. 

I'm struggling to get my measures to reference a value for the previous day for the specific instrument in the current row. 

Contributions PBIX File

This excel file explains what result I'm looking for. Excel

For each day I need:

PriceContribution = (Price % Change from previous Day)* (Instrument % of fund of previous Day)

Cumulative Contribution = ProductX(Contribution) per instrument per fund for the total date range

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Johnsnowlife,

Could you please share the Excel file for me to download? I would check that what formula you use to calculate the Product of Contr+1. I guess that you create columns to calculate Pricechg, Contr and other fields in Excel, but in Power BI Desktop, you use measures instead, which give you different result.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia

There is a link to the Excel file in the original post. In the Excel File I have used columns and a pivot table. But in the PBI file I want to use measures for eveything. 

@Johnsnowlife,

I am not able to edit the Excel file and I can't view the formulas you use to create these fields in Excel. 

Since you get different values for calculated fields of Excel and measures of Power BI Desktop, I am confused about your expected result. Thus, could you please share the Excel file so that I can download rather than viewing data in Excel Online? And please check if the following measure returns your expected result in Power BI.

TotalContr = CALCULATE(productx(VALUES(DataAllFunds[Date]),1+[PriceContr]))-1

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I used the below and I got my expected result for the product of the instrument contribution over my date period and calculated only for the last date. 

CumInstrContr = 
VAR TDate =
    CALCULATE ( MAX ( DataAllFunds[Date] ), ALL ( DataAllFunds ) )
RETURN
    IF (
        MAX(DataAllFunds[Date] ) = TDate,
 CALCULATE(productx(values(DataAllFunds[Date]),1+[PriceContr]),ALLSELECTED(DataAllFunds[Date]))-1,blank())

I don't really understand how the "values(DataAllFunds[Date]" part works though. Can you explain please?

Now I also want the sum of all the instrument price contributions per fund per day (FundDayContr). And then the product of (1+ FundDayContr) over all days in the period. 

For anyone interested in this, the following formulas ended up working. However I ran into trouble with these formulas using extensive RAM and I couldn't run them for periods more than 6 months on my actual table. 

Can anyone advise on how I can optimise these? 

InstrPriceContr = 
SUMX ( DataAllFunds, [PriceChg] * [InstrPctPrevDay] )

CumInstrContr = 
VAR startDate =
    CALCULATE ( MIN ( 'Calendar'[Date] ), ALLSELECTED ('Calendar'[Date] ) )
RETURN
    if(min(DataAllFunds[Date])<startDate,blank(),CALCULATE (
        PRODUCTX ( DataAllFunds, 1 + [InstrPriceContr] ),
        ALLEXCEPT ( DataAllFunds, DataAllFunds[Fund], DataAllFunds[InstrCode] ),
        DataAllFunds[Date] >= startDate
    )
)

ProductT = 
VAR startDate =
    CALCULATE ( MIN ( 'Calendar'[Date] ), ALLSELECTED ('Calendar'[Date] ) )
VAR DateT = CALCULATE(max('Calendar'[Date]),ALLSELECTED('Calendar'[Date]))
RETURN
    if(max(DataAllFunds[Date])<DateT,blank(),CALCULATE(PRODUCTX(SUMMARIZE(DataAllFunds,
			DataAllFunds[Date],
			DataAllFunds[Fund],
			"SumInstrContrib",
			sumx(DataAllFunds,[InstrPriceContr])),1+[SumInstrContrib])-1,ALLSELECTED(DataAllFunds[Date])))

Try this link

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.