Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

udian
Helper III
Helper III

Calculating Prev 2 Months Measures without Using DateAdd

Hi,

I have a tbular model and in many cases i need to create prev 2 months measures such as Volume_Amount_Prev_2_Months (2 months ago).

i want to build this measure without using DateAdd function as i want the users to be able to filter on DayOfMonth causing an error when using DateAdd.

how can i create it?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@udian,

As my previous post, when you select single day in the slicer, what year and what month do you refer to? In other words, which is the baseline of the previous 2 months measure when you make selections in the slicer?

In your scenario, you should also add a year/month slicer to make a vaild date so that the measure returns previous 2 month value based on this date.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@udian,

What error message do you get? When you select single day in the slicer, what year and what month do you refer to? In other words, which is the baseline of the previous 2 months measure when you make selections in the slicer?

Please share sample data and post expected result here.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

I have the following measures:

Volume Amount USD - Prev Month:=CALCULATE(SUM([Volume_Amount_USD]),PREVIOUSMONTH(Dim_TimeTable_EST[Date EST]))

Volume Amount USD - 2 Months Ago:=CALCULATE([Volume Amount USD - Prev Month],DATEADD(Dim_TimeTable_EST[Date EST],-1,MONTH))

The error message that i get when i try to filter on day of month (from the Dim_TimeTable_EST) is: 

Function 'DATEADD' only works with contiguous date selections.

Thanks!

@udian,

As my previous post, when you select single day in the slicer, what year and what month do you refer to? In other words, which is the baseline of the previous 2 months measure when you make selections in the slicer?

In your scenario, you should also add a year/month slicer to make a vaild date so that the measure returns previous 2 month value based on this date.

Regards,
Lydia

Hi Lydia,

Sorry that i didn't understand your question...I see your point now.

i added the Day of Month filter in the report level filters while i had one of the visuals that wasn't filtered on a month level.

moving the Day of Month filter to the visual level filters solved the issue.

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.