Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

codextero
Frequent Visitor

Calculating Percentage of Revenue

So this is a problem that's been stumping me for a while. 

The task is to calculate total revenue, then calculate other accounts as a percentage of revenue.

Take this dummy data set

Table Balances

AccountYearMonthValue

Table Chart_of_Accounts

AccountLevel 1Level 2
1RevenueLemonaide
2RevenuePopsicles
3ExpenseLemons
4ExpenseIce

Putting this data in a pivot table is clean enough.

Pivot table 1.png

Revenue for any month would be the sum of account 1 and 2, as they have the Level 1 filter of "Revenue".

I thought that a measure would be the best way to calculate an account as a percentage of revenue, so I wrote a measure for that purpose.

Percent_of_Revenue = DIVIDE(CALCULATE(sum(Balances[Value])),CALCULATE(sum(Balances[Value]),Chart_of_accounts[Level 1]="Revenue")) 

The idea goes you sum up all account entries that have a Level 1 of "revenue" and divide the value by revenue to get percent of revenue. However, the measure didn't quite work that way.

Pivot table 2.png

It's clear from this that the measure is filtering by reporting level, so the "total revenue" part of the measure is never actually calculating the total revenue, but only for that specific filter result.

I think this can be corrected by using ALLEXCEPT in the measure, but I've been unable to get it to work.

Edit : can't attach a .pbix to this post, account is probably too new.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Is this what you are expecting the result to be

revenue.PNG

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

so pretty much what I posted was correct result and that's what you are looking for

here are my dax expression, I like to break those in smaller piece for readbility

Total Value = SUM ( Data[Value] )

Total Revenue = CALCULATE( [Total Value], FILTER ( ALLSELECTED( Chart ), Chart[Level 1] = "Revenue" ) )

% of Revenue = DIVIDE( [Total Value], [Total Revenue], 0 )

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
violet11_6
Regular Visitor

Hi.

I've followed the proposed solution to this thread but it does not seem to work for me.  I have a PnL Database table that looks like this:

TimeCurrencyEntityAccountNameValue
   Revenue1,000
   Cost of sales400
   SG&A300

and I cannot get Total Revenue to appear on every P&L account using the following:

TtlRevenue = 
VAR Revenue = CALCULATE (SUM('PnL Database'[value], FILTER('PnL Database'[Account Name]="Revenue"))
RETURN CALCULATE(Revenue, ALL('PnL Database'[Account Name]))

The result I get is as follows, the Ttl Revenue figure does appear against the other PnL line.

Account NameValueTtlRevenue
Revenue1,0001,000
Cost of Sales400 
SG&A300 

Any advice? Thanks in advance. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Use ALLSELECTED.

Here is my formula that works (SalesSUM is a Measure that is Sum of Sales):

Percentage Of Total = 'Order_Line_Invoice'[SalesSUM]/CALCULATE(sum('Order_Line_Invoice' [Sales]),ALLSELECTED())

Injecting what I think are your fields:

Percentage Of Total = 'sum(Balances'[Value]/CALCULATE(sum('Balances' [Value]),ALLSELECTED())

I hope it works.

I think I'm on the right path, with an added filter to the measure, I was able to get part of what I wanted.

Percentage_Of_Total_mod1 = sum('Balances'[Value])/CALCULATE(sum('Balances'[Value]),ALLSELECTED(),Chart_of_accounts[Level 1]="Revenue")

Pivot Table 3.png

The subcategories are being correctly divided by the revenue.

However, ALLSELECTED removes the year and month filters, so data is only correct at the highest level, and if you drill down, the numbers are being divided by the total revenue across all months rather than by the monthly revenue. I'm thinking that the correct implemention involves a way for the measure to ignore reporting levels, but keeping all other filters (e.g. month/year).

pivot table 4.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

The calculation I posted works with filters. 

I recommend making a measure of the Sum of Revenue and using that instead of the root data. In that you'd put the filter "Chart of Accounts" criteria. That may be why the formula is not working for you.

Measures that pre-sum commonly used numbers work well and save future work.

I got it.

Percentage_Of_Total_mod1 = sum('Balances'[Value])/CALCULATE(sum('Balances'[Value]),ALL(Chart_of_accounts[Level 1],Chart_of_accounts[Level 2]),Chart_of_accounts[Level 1]="Revenue")

returns the correct results.

pivot table 5.png

so pretty much what I posted was correct result and that's what you are looking for

here are my dax expression, I like to break those in smaller piece for readbility

Total Value = SUM ( Data[Value] )

Total Revenue = CALCULATE( [Total Value], FILTER ( ALLSELECTED( Chart ), Chart[Level 1] = "Revenue" ) )

% of Revenue = DIVIDE( [Total Value], [Total Revenue], 0 )

@codexteroif you can confirm the image i posted is the result you are expecting that will be helpful to get you the solution.

Yep that's exactly what I was looking for. I found my own solution to the problem, but I'd be intrested to see yours.

Is this what you are expecting the result to be

revenue.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.