Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

marcelmuench
Regular Visitor

Calculating Measures based on Hierachy level

Hi Power BI Community,

we want to create a dashboard to track our digital performance. Therefore we have defined some KPIs and a Hierarchy for them and also ratios to weight the KPIs differently.

Here as an example:

Level 1 Facebook

Level 2a Facebook Likes-Rate (Weight 60%)

Level 2b Facebook Comment-Rate (Weight 40%)

So the Like-Rate counts 60% and the Comment-Rate 40% and aggregated it's the Facebook Score (very simplified). We want to slice this by time, I have the KPIs on a daily base but they also want to look at it weekly or monthly.

The problem I'm facing is, that the rates are relative metrics, so behind them there are two metrics which have to be divided first.

Facebook-Likes-Rate = Count of Likes / Count of Posts (e.g. 50 Likes / 100 Posts = 0,5)

Facebook Comment-Rate = Count of Comments / Count of Posts (e.g. 10 Likes  / 100 Posts = 0,1)

On the lower level it's easy to calculate, because there is no weight. So on this level we can see 0,5 for the Like-Rate and 0,1 for the Comment-Rate.

Now I've tried to calculate the Level above and I have expected the following result:

Facebook = Like-Rate * 60 % + Comment-Rate * 40 % = (0,5* 60 %) + (0,1 * 40 %) -> 0,34 as a Score value (we have benchmarks to compare this value).

But I'm not able to do this so far. I tried some solutions but the problem is, that the deepest level need to be calculated dynamically via a calculated measure. If I take this measure as a base for the above level to calculate it's dividing still through the base values:

(10 Likes * 60 % + 10 Comments * 40 %) / (100 Posts * 60 %+ 100 Posts * 40 %) =(0,6 + 0,4) / (60 + 40) = 0,01

Not quite sure if this was understandable. It's a very tricky thing to me.

Here is a little snapshot with some fake data:

marcelmuench_1-1602766455520.png

The numbers of the column KPI Measure should be multiplied by the numbers of the column KPI Level 3 Weight. And then the sum of those 3 values should be there where we now can see the 4,09. 

Any solution for this?

Thanks a lot!

Best, 

Marcel

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @marcelmuench,

According to your description, I think you can take a look a the following blog to know more about the hierarchy levels and how to use if statements and filters to check the current row content level.

Clever Hierarchy Handling in DAX 

Regards,

Xiaxoin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.