Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Hashiru
Helper I
Helper I

Calculating Last Week Total Unreimbursed Amount Using CALCULATE and DATEADD

Hi all,

I have calculated the Unreimbursed Amount for a cummulative dataset, however, I want to calculate the same Unreimbursed Amount Last Week (or some given number of days earlier e.g. 7 or 8 days ago).

I came up with this formula, but I am not getting the correct answer.

Last Week URMB  =CALCULATE(
                  [PPNL RMB Amount],
                       DATEADD('Calendar'[Date],-7,DAY)
   )

This is not producing the answer.

Need help

5 REPLIES 5
tarunsingla
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

DATEADD function returns a table that contains a column of dates, shifted either forward or backward in time by the specified number of intervals from the dates in the current context.

Your formula should work fine if you pull that measure in a visual that has the Calendar[Date] field as well.

But if you are looking for an aggregation, you would need to use a different formula that filters (instead of time shifting the current context) records for the desired dates.

I Guess, the DATEADD is the filter in the CALCULATE fuction producing a date table representing all dates to lastdate -7 days. Then CALCULATE only sum up unreimbursed amounts within these dates.

Nishantjain
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Try to add the all(date table) filter to your calculate function. Also you might want to look at datesinbetween function instead of dateadd

Thanks Nishhantjain/Tarunsingla,

Tarunsingla: I will like to accomplish this with DATEADD as well as other available functions.

Nishantjain: I tried the DATESBETWEEN and I am getting some answers that not accurate but I have a feeling it the slicers not tuned well. I am working with Excel Power Pivot also with this and it does filtered well in Excel because I can link them easily there. However, I am not that clear how to adjust the slicers in Power BI for the report to be filtered by both measures correctly.

Here is a background on the model I am building:

Relationship: Fact[TransDate] * to 1 Calendar[Date]

Slicer: FAIN and Activity

Dataset: Cumulative since 2016

Here is the  formula I am using:

LW RMB Amount = CALCULATE([NL RMB Amount],DATESBETWEEN(Calendar[Date],FIRSTDATE(Fact[Accounting]),DATE(2019,3,25)))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.