Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wkeicher
Helper III
Helper III

Calculating Event duration Hours by Resource and Date

I have a Table of events. Each Event has a date & duration( in hours). Each Event has a resource assigned through a relationship with an assignment table. . I am trying to build a visual of hours by resource and date.

My result is the same value for each resource by date. Also the date field (by way of Hierarchy) only shows the Number not the actual date.5-22-2019 7-30-41 PM.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@wkeicher issue is with resource table on many side. Either change the cross filter direction of relationship to both or write a measure use CROSSFILTER function in it.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wkeicher - At issue here is that the Date table is not related to the fact table, so the calculation is counting all dates in the date table. As a best practice, you generally want to make relationships from your date dimension table to each fact table.

Hope this helps,

Nathan

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

when its a repeating value like that it more often than not a relationship problem where the filters are not flowing as you would expect. Any chance you could share the pbix file?

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@wkeicher can you share tables relationship diagram and also what you are using in matrix for rows, columns, and value.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

I highligted the Joined fields.

5-22-2019 8-13-22 PM.png

Rows = The Resource Name

Coumns = Dates

Hours = Hours assigned to the event

Ideally - Once I get the correct hours, I will want to measure the hours per resouce/Hours in a work day to get Utilization %.

@wkeicher issue is with resource table on many side. Either change the cross filter direction of relationship to both or write a measure use CROSSFILTER function in it.

@Anonymous  - So similiar to a different thread, I am now trying to provide a forecasted utilization% for upcoming events. With the help of the folks on this thread I am reporting the correct hours that are booked for future events. My next challenge is to calcuate utilization for each resource and the grouo they belong to.

I attempted to use the same column with modification, but getting much lower than expected results.

ForecastedUtil =
var workday_available_hours = COUNTROWS(FILTER('Working Dates','Working Dates'[IsWorkday] = "Yes")) * 7.5
var workday_booked_hours = CALCULATE(SUM('Events'[Hours]), 'Working Dates'[IsWorkday] = "Yes")
var non_workday_booked_hours = CALCULATE(SUM('Events'[Hours]), 'Working Dates'[IsWorkday] = "No")
return DIVIDE(
workday_booked_hours + non_workday_booked_hours,
workday_available_hours + non_workday_booked_hours
)

The sample below is to show one day (the 23rd)
5-23-2019 9-15-59 AM.png
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wkeicher - First step in troubleshooting is to create separate test measures for each variable to see where it is going wrong. Then we can analyze what is happening with that component.

Cheers,

Nathan

@Anonymous Very Helpful. So it looks like my caclulation for Available hours is incorrect. I tried both and single in the relationship no change.

5-23-2019 9-57-27 AM.png

@wkeicher you should just look at what countrows return before calculation to make sure you are getting correct count. Also it depends what  is the filter context for the working date table? Are you filtering the data or what else is in matrix?

Just looking at dax expression doesn't help to resolve the issue, you have to provide the full context on how you are using it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wkeicher - At issue here is that the Date table is not related to the fact table, so the calculation is counting all dates in the date table. As a best practice, you generally want to make relationships from your date dimension table to each fact table.

Hope this helps,

Nathan

The Relationship was there, however the data types were mismatched Date verssus Date/Time. Thank You!

@Anonymous Very Helpful. So it looks like my caclulation for Available hours is incorrect. I tried both and single in the relationship no change.

5-23-2019 9-57-27 AM.png

@wkeicher just to confirm your original issue is resolved, correct?

yes - the hours are calculating correctly now - Thank You. The next step is to calculate Utilization %

@wkeicher did you use cross filter direction to "Both" to fixed the issue. Make sure accept the resolution so that others can take advantage of it.

Regarding 2nd question, make sure your each var calculation is returning correct value, it will help to debug where the issue is.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.