Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sirgseymour
Helper I
Helper I

Calculating Difference between data in a table with two seperate ID keys

I am trying to compare portfolio data that exists in a single table. For Example, I have the data for two Portfolios containing losses in the same table. I have created two Tables in the Power BI UI and want to create a third that shows the difference between the two. What I want to do is do the calculation:

Difference= (Sum Aggregate values where PortfolioID=1) - (Sum Aggregate values where PortfolioID=2)

I need to be able to select the Portfolio ID's from slicers to see each of the portfolios in the two tables... Any ideas Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi,@sirgseymour

After my research, I'm afraid it couldn't achieve in Power BI in one table, but you can do these as below:

Step1:

use this formula to duplicate your basic table

Table 2 = 'Table 1'

Step2:

Use Values Function to create a Country fact table:

Country = VALUES('Table 1'[Country] )

Step3:

Create the relationship between them

12.PNG

Step4:

Use ALLSELECTED Function to create a measure 

difference = CALCULATE(SUM('Table 1'[Aggregate Loss]),ALLSELECTED('Table 1'[Portfolio]))-CALCULATE(SUM('Table 2'[Aggregate Loss]),ALLSELECTED('Table 2'[Portfolio]))

Step5:

Drag fields into visual like this:

13.PNG

here is pbix, please try it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fq6p0obgxbg2ai8/Calculating%20Difference%20between%20data%20in%20a%20table...

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @sirgseymour

Could you please tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, could you please mark the helpful replies as Answered?

Best Regards,

Lin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
sirgseymour
Helper I
Helper I

I am trying to compare portfolio data that exists in a single table. For Example, I have the data for two Portfolios containing losses in the same table. I have created two Tables in the Power BI UI and want to create a third that shows the difference between the two. What I want to do is do the calculation:

Difference= (Sum Aggregate values where PortfolioID=1) - (Sum Aggregate values where PortfolioID=2)

I need to be able to select the Portfolio ID's from slicers to see each of the portfolios in the two tables... Any ideas Thanks

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Tough to be specific without sample data. Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

That being said, you could create a measure that starts with two VAR's that do a MIN and MAX of your slicer. You could then use that to calculate your difference by filtering based upon your variables.

Again, tough to be specific here.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you for getting back to me. Here is an example that i have put together to give you an idea of what I am looking to do. In the example below I have included a Data ttable (SQL Table) and the three tables I want to show inthe UI. What I want to be able to do is select the individual Portfolios in the slicers and then subtract the aggregated data from the individual tables.

Data Table  

PortfolioCountryAggregate Loss
Portfolio 1Argentina         50,000,000
Portfolio 1US         50,000,000
Portfolio 1UK         50,000,000
Portfolio 1Germany         50,000,000
Portfolio 1Argentina         60,000,000
Portfolio 1US         60,000,000
Portfolio 1UK         60,000,000
Portfolio 1Germany         60,000,000
Portfolio 2Argentina         80,000,000
Portfolio 2US         80,000,000
Portfolio 2UK         80,000,000
Portfolio 2Germany         80,000,000
Portfolio 2Argentina       110,000,000
Portfolio 2US       110,000,000
Portfolio 2UK       110,000,000
Portfolio 2Germany       110,000,000

Power BI Visual 

Portfolio 1 (Slicer)

CountryAggregate Loss 
Argentina       110,000,000 
US       110,000,000 
UK       110,000,000 
Germany       110,000,000 

Portfolio 2 (Slicer)

CountryAggregate Loss 
Argentina       190,000,000 
US       190,000,000 
UK       190,000,000 
Germany       190,000,000 

Difference  

CountryAggregate Loss 
Argentina       (80,000,000) 
US       (80,000,000) 
UK       (80,000,000) 
Germany       (80,000,000) 

hi,@sirgseymour

After my research, whether there are only two types in column Portfolio, you can use this formula:

Measure = CALCULATE(SUM(Table4[Aggregate Loss]),Table4[Portfolio]="Portfolio 1")-CALCULATE(SUM(Table4[Aggregate Loss]),Table4[Portfolio]="Portfolio 2")

if there are more than two types in column Portfolio,

when you select Portfolio 1 in slicer,

first table visual will show data of Portfolio 1 and second table visual will show data of Portfolio 1 too.

And when you select Portfolio 2 in slicer,

second table visual will show data of Portfolio 2 and first table visual will show data of Portfolio 2 too.

Best Regards,

Lin

Thank you for your response. I think this shows the crux of the issue. In my data there are more than two portfolios (there are several hundred) What I don't know how to do is to make the two Portfolio selections in the slicers and then read those values into the formula that you have below

Measure = CALCULATE(SUM(Table4[Aggregate Loss]),Table4[Portfolio]=<Value from slicer 1>)-CALCULATE(SUM(Table4[Aggregate Loss]),Table4[Portfolio]=<Value from slicer 2>)

It is the ability to select the values from the individual slicers that I am having issues with.

THank you for helping me clarify my request!!!!

hi,@sirgseymour

After my research, I'm afraid it couldn't achieve in Power BI in one table, but you can do these as below:

Step1:

use this formula to duplicate your basic table

Table 2 = 'Table 1'

Step2:

Use Values Function to create a Country fact table:

Country = VALUES('Table 1'[Country] )

Step3:

Create the relationship between them

12.PNG

Step4:

Use ALLSELECTED Function to create a measure 

difference = CALCULATE(SUM('Table 1'[Aggregate Loss]),ALLSELECTED('Table 1'[Portfolio]))-CALCULATE(SUM('Table 2'[Aggregate Loss]),ALLSELECTED('Table 2'[Portfolio]))

Step5:

Drag fields into visual like this:

13.PNG

here is pbix, please try it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fq6p0obgxbg2ai8/Calculating%20Difference%20between%20data%20in%20a%20table...

Best Regards,

Lin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.