Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hokitkan
Frequent Visitor

Calculating Cumulative Total with the most updated values

Hi everyone, I'm new to Power BI and now I'm facing a problem about the Cumulative Total.

The below table shows the information about number of products at certain timepoints sort by Product Type. The number of products may fluctuate due to products sold or get inventory replenishment.

raw.jpg

What I want to do is to calculate the Cumulative Total chronologically so I can obtain a output table as follow.result.jpg

I found informations about how to calculate cumulative total by group using the CALCULATE(SUM(), FILTER(ALL(),
'Table'[Date] <= MAX('Table'[Date]))) Syntax. However, I cant figure out how to calculate the cumulative total when same type of products occur repeatedly with an updated numbers. How to ignore the old value and use the latest value encounter at the corresponding timepoints?

I cant find any useful information on the web. So any hints or advises would be much appericated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@hokitkan

Hi, please try with this measure:

cumulative =
VAR vtime =
    MAX ( Table1[TIME] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        SUMX (
            SUMMARIZE (
                Table1,
                Table1[REGION],
                Table1[TYPE],
                "MXamount", SELECTCOLUMNS ( TOPN ( 1, Table1, Table1[TIME] ), "AM", Table1[AMOUNT] )
            ),
            [MXamount]
        ),
        FILTER ( ALLEXCEPT ( Table1, Table1[REGION] ), Table1[TIME] <= vtime )
    )

cumulative.gif

let me know if works

Victor

Lima-Peru

Lima - Peru

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
hymieho
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi, I'm not exactly sure but I think you could RANK Type by Time and only SUM the top 1 (the latest value). 

Thanks for your reply! I think your advise can help me to obtain the final number of products at the end of the day. But I also want to get the data throughout the day, so I can know how many products are in the store at each time point. 

Actually I am not sure if power bi desktop can really deal with this situation. As I know power bi desktop is working on column level but my problem is on cell level (once encounter the repeated types of product, ignore the value use before and do calculation with the new value). 

What do you think? I would appreciate any ideas!

@hokitkan

Hi, please try with this measure:

cumulative =
VAR vtime =
    MAX ( Table1[TIME] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        SUMX (
            SUMMARIZE (
                Table1,
                Table1[REGION],
                Table1[TYPE],
                "MXamount", SELECTCOLUMNS ( TOPN ( 1, Table1, Table1[TIME] ), "AM", Table1[AMOUNT] )
            ),
            [MXamount]
        ),
        FILTER ( ALLEXCEPT ( Table1, Table1[REGION] ), Table1[TIME] <= vtime )
    )

cumulative.gif

let me know if works

Victor

Lima-Peru

Lima - Peru

Yes, thanks. And now I know about SELECTCOLUMNS, and I had not seen this pattern for adding individual columns back after summarizing--I have only seen calculated columns.  Great stuff!

It works perfectly!

Really impressed by the logic and thanks for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.