Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MarkDGaal
Helper III
Helper III

Calculating Averages when using a Calculate and Filter Measure

Hello, I'm having a little trouble figure out what is the best way to express my average over the course of 3 years using Measures.

My data structure looks like this (Table 1). As a note, there are other more unique data-elements (not illustrated below) that won't allow for this Table to be summerized/grouped to a higher level.

FullName  | Hours Worked | Location 1 | Location 2 | Labor Category  | Fiscal Year
John Smith| 10           | ABC        | ABC        | Worker          |  2015
John Smith| 5            | XYZ        | XYZ        | Manger          |  2014
John Smith| 7            | XYZ        | XYZ        | Manger          |  2015
John Smith| 3            | ABC        | CDA        | Worker          |  2013
John Smith| 2            | XYZ        | XYZ        | Manger          |  2015
John Smith| 10           | ABC        | ABC        | Worker          |  2015
John Smith| 5            | XYZ        | XYZ        | Manger          |  2014
John Smith| 7            | XYZ        | XYZ        | Manger          |  2015
John Smith| 3            | ABC        | CDA        | Worker          |  2013
John Smith| 2            | XYZ        | XYZ        | Manger          |  2015

My Measure looks like this:

Avg Hrs per Person = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Hours Worked])/DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[FullName]
), Filter(Table1, [FullName]<>"No Matching Name" && [Location 1]=[Location 2] && ([Labor Category] = "Worker"|| [Labor Category]="Manager")))

Because John Smith was an employee for 3 years and his name remained the same the distinct count of John Smith is always 1 not 3. Now the problem is that I want this measure to represent the average of 3 year's of averages for John Smith; aka an average of an avearage.

I believe that the solution here is to use some combination of AVERAGEX, VALUES, and/or SUMMARIZE but the solution is illuding me.

I've tried creating 3 separate measures (one for each Fiscal Year) but I don't see and easy way to average the result of 3 separate measrues. Also, I've been reading a bit on how Averaging Averages is not the best course of action here, kindly advise if there is a better route. Thanks in advance and let me know if you need any more detail.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Assuming your current measure is working as you want, the solution is just

Yearly Average := AVERAGEX( VALUES(Calendar[Year]), [Avg Hrs Per Person])

All the X routines work the same way... "Iterate over elements in the first parameter, evaluate the 2nd expression for each... then aggregate the results together".

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Assuming your current measure is working as you want, the solution is just

Yearly Average := AVERAGEX( VALUES(Calendar[Year]), [Avg Hrs Per Person])

All the X routines work the same way... "Iterate over elements in the first parameter, evaluate the 2nd expression for each... then aggregate the results together".

Keep it simple I suppose, I kept trying to identify the year value in the Values funciton. (I'm new to DAX) 

Quick question why can't I just put the acutal expression from the [Avg Hrs Per Person] Measure inside of AVERAGEX? Or more simply.... why the need for the "intermediate" measure....?

Anonymous
Not applicable

That should work fine as well, except you will need to wrap it in a CALCULATE( ).  Calling a measure has an "implicit calculate".

This call to CALCULATE is a bit fringe in knowledge -- it is to convert the Row Context (created by the X function) to a Filter Context.

So you are saying this should work?

AVERAGEX(VALUES(Table1[Fiscal Year]), CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Hours Worked])/DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[FullName]
), Filter(Table1, [FullName]<>"No Matching Name" && [Location 1]=[Location 2] && ([Labor Category] = "Worker"|| [Labor Category]="Manager"))))

Anonymous
Not applicable

Let's just say... that if it doesn't... only @marcorusso has a chance of telling us why ... 🙂

It does not evaluate to the same average as having the Measure in the AVERAGEX function. I'll defer to @marcorusso as well.

If you have:

M := <exp>

X := aggX ( <table>, [M] )

You are doing:

X := aggX ( <table>, CALCULATE ( <exp> ) )

In your case, you forgot the CALCULATE embedding your measure. In this way, context transition will affect also filter arguments (the FILTER inside CALCULATE).

You should use this:

=
AVERAGEX (
    VALUES ( Table1[Fiscal Year] ),
    CALCULATE (
        CALCULATE (
            SUM ( Table1[Hours Worked] ) / DISTINCTCOUNT ( Table1[FullName] ),
            FILTER (
                Table1,
                [FullName] <> "No Matching Name"
                    && [Location 1] = [Location 2]
                    && ( [Labor Category] = "Worker"
                    || [Labor Category] = "Manager" )
            )
        )
    )
)

Can anybody help me in calculating avrages of empoyees for a data of 5 years.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@MarkDGaal I can't believe THE @marcorusso responded!

Calculating Average.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.