Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

VSepaha
Regular Visitor

Calculating Average for Column Over Certain Number of Months

Hi Everyone,

I am working on creating a table that can show the average number of requested talent for a certain skill. I currently have a table as shown below:

VSepaha_0-1600786235149.png

The middle column in the 'Average Requested Number of Talent per Month' over a period of 4 months. As you can see from the table, most of the values are calculated correctly, for exmaple, PYTHON has 30 Talent requested and the average is (30/4) 7.5. However, when we got lower into MS WINDOWS AZURE it has 22 Talent requested and the average comes to 11.  I'm not sure why this is the case.

I created this measure through a quick measure and this is the DAX that it returned:

Avg Requsted Number of Talent per Month =
AVERAGEX(
    KEEPFILTERS(VALUES('Gap Operating Trends - Gap'[REQUEST_CREATED_DATE].[Month])),
    CALCULATE(SUM('Gap Operating Trends - Gap'[REQUESTED_NUMBER_OF_TALENT]))
)

Could someone help me in figuring out why this is giving me correct values in some cases and not others, and how I can go about getting the correct values?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @VSepaha ,

Sorry for the late reply.

Create a measure like this:

Measure = CALCULATE(AVERAGE('Table'[value]),ALLSELECTED('Table'))

V-lianl-msft_0-1601628343529.png

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
sanalytics
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

@ VSepaha,

It would be great if you provide us some sample data and your desired output..Providing only a screenshot is very difficult to assume your exact requirement..
if i understand correctly,your last two skill name are returning wrong average.So for that 

Avg Requested Number of Talent per Month = DIVIDE(SUM('Table'[Requested Number of Talent]),4)
can give you desire result..apart from that, I am unclear with your requirement.

regards,
sanalytics

The calculation you sent me does work correctly, however, I have a filter on the page which specifies the last X number of months. By default the number of months is set to 4. In that case,

"Avg Requested Number of Talent per Month = DIVIDE(SUM('Table'[Requested Number of Talent]),4)"

would work correctly. But if I changed the filter to the past 5 months, this formula would be invalid. Is there a way of how I can get the number of months being used by the filter?

@VSepaha,

Then use the Selectedvalue function for that..
Avg Requested Number of Talent per Month = DIVIDE(SUM('Table'[Requested Number of Talent]),

SELECTEDVALUE(ColumnName,Alternateresult))

Regards,

sanalytics

I'm still fairly new to Power BI, I'm not sure what goes in the Alternateresult value.

Would something like this work after I figure out the Alternateresult?

Avg Requested Number of Talent per Month = DIVIDE(SUM('Table'[REQUESTED_NUMBER_OF_TALENT]),
SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Date].[Month], {Alternateresult})

Thanks again for the help!

Hi @VSepaha ,

Try:

Avg Requested Number of Talent per Month = DIVIDE(SUM('Table'[REQUESTED_NUMBER_OF_TALENT]),
DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[Date].[Month])

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @V-lianl-msft 

This solution didn't seem to work for me. After applying this solution, it divided my 'Requested Number of Talent' by 12 instead of the number of months that I am filtering by.

Could you please help me find a solution that takes the filter into account?

Thank you!

Hi @VSepaha ,

Sorry for the late reply.

Create a measure like this:

Measure = CALCULATE(AVERAGE('Table'[value]),ALLSELECTED('Table'))

V-lianl-msft_0-1601628343529.png

Best Regards,
Liang

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.