Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SteveG_91
Helper I
Helper I

Calculating An Average Of A Measure

I have a table named ITC_DAILY_STATS that records one row for each application received.  Our months are divided into one of five categories, named month_code (12WD, 12WE, 3WD, 8WD, 8WE).  I'm trying to calculate the average number of apps received each month, grouped by the month_code.  In other words, what is the average number of apps received in the 12WD months, in the 12WE months, etc.  I have a slicer so the user can select one of the month_codes.

I have this measure to count the number of apps received, which works fine

App Count = count('ITC_DAILY_STATS'[APP_NUM])

Following other posts on here I wrote this measure to calculate the average of the 'App Count' measure
APP COUNT AVG = AVERAGEX(VALUES('A2055 ITC_BIZ_DATES'[Month Code]),'Calculations'[APP COUNT])

However, when I display the APP COUNT AVG in a card visual it gives me the total of all the months in that month_code rather than the average.  In this example below, the total is 147,276 but what I want is the average of that (36,819).

SteveG_91_0-1655927512552.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@SteveG_91 , Can try it on month year name

APP COUNT AVG = AVERAGEX(VALUES('A2055 ITC_BIZ_DATES'[Month Year name]),calculate([APP COUNT]) )

or

APP COUNT AVG = AVERAGEX(summarize('A2055 ITC_BIZ_DATES','A2055 ITC_BIZ_DATES'[Month Year name],[Month Code]),calculate([APP COUNT]) )

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@SteveG_91 , Can try it on month year name

APP COUNT AVG = AVERAGEX(VALUES('A2055 ITC_BIZ_DATES'[Month Year name]),calculate([APP COUNT]) )

or

APP COUNT AVG = AVERAGEX(summarize('A2055 ITC_BIZ_DATES','A2055 ITC_BIZ_DATES'[Month Year name],[Month Code]),calculate([APP COUNT]) )

Thanks @amitchandak , your first measure worked, APP COUNT AVG = AVERAGEX(VALUES('A2055 ITC_BIZ_DATES'[Month Year name]),calculate([APP COUNT]) ).

I thought I had used month year name on my first try and it didn't work so I switched to month_code.  I guess I didn't.  Anyway, thanks for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.