Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
realexander Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Calculating ABC over different product categories

Hey Power BI Community! 

I'm trying to calculate ABC classification for items over different product categories. I've already solved the ABC calculation when I'm working at SKU level (Scenario 1) using this tutorial (https://www.daxpatterns.com/abc-classification/). But there I'm mixing all the product categories and we'd like to see the ABC for each product category or even the ABC for each category and sale store. 

I'm having troubles with the DAX formulas in this case. I'd like to get the cumulated percentages, and hence, the ABC calculations by product family as in Scenario 2.

Any ideas here please? 

ABC question.png 

1 REPLY 1
Super User
Super User

Re: Calculating ABC over different product categories

@realexander- I've been taking a look at this and I've been thinking about an ABC measure for quite a bit. Problem that I see is that there is no way to dynamically sort a temp table in a DAX variable that I can find. I believe this would be needed to dynamically do an ABC calculation like what you are trying to do. So, I believe at this point that you would need to create a "static" calculated table for each ABC analysis that you want to do, sort it and then put in your calculated columns. Not optimal. I've reached out to a few folks on this and will post back here if I find out some trick for this.

I have book! Learn Power BI from Packt

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Community Kudopalooza

Win Power BI Swag with Community Kudopalooza!

Each week, complete activities and be qualified in the drawing for cool Power BI Swag.

Users Online
Currently online: 139 members 1,649 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: