Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rashel2002
Helper II
Helper II

Calculated table which is change dynamically according to slicer selection

Hi all 🙂

lets say i have a database table, which describe me for each task - on what WW it happened and how many hours took for it to be done. also, for each task it tells me the priority of the task - 1(top priority), 2(low priority).

now i want to creat a graph that will show me how many hours of work needed in each WW - but in a comulative way.

so if my original table i extracted from the database was something like this-

1.PNG

what i want is to creat a new table that will summerize for each week the effort (by hours) that was made on that week.

now i want that column (that is summerizing the effort made each week) to be calculated dynamic and change by the filter selection, so that if i will press type 1+2, i will get something like that-

2.PNG

but, if i perss only proprity '1' i will get something like that-

3.PNG

so i want both of the columns "sum of hours" & "cumulitive" to be calculated dynamic and change by the filter selection, then the graph will change as well.

thanks a lot! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

here you will find a little pbix file

Basically it's just necessary to calculate the cumulative of value of the working hours, due to the nature of Power BI and how the filtering works one does not need to create a sum for "basic" working hours.

But to achieve the "stepped" visual if just priority 1 is selected, it's necessary to create an additional table, that contains all the unique values from the WW column. In my example I named this table just "WW". There is a relationship between both tables on the one side the new "WW" table and on the many side the table that contains the data. This is a recommended approach and becomes much more important if your data will contain data / datetime columns.

Be aware that all the visuals are using the WW column from the WW table.

Here is a screenshot from showing the line chart with just Priority 1 filtered:

image.png

Here is the DAX statement that I use to calculate the measure that shows the cumulated Working Hours:

**bleep** No. of hours = 
CALCULATE(
    SUM('Table1'[No. of hours])
    ,FILTER(
        ALL('WW'[WW])
        ,'WW'[WW] <= MAX('WW'[WW])
    )
) 

Hopefully this is what you are looking for.

Regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

here you will find a little pbix file

Basically it's just necessary to calculate the cumulative of value of the working hours, due to the nature of Power BI and how the filtering works one does not need to create a sum for "basic" working hours.

But to achieve the "stepped" visual if just priority 1 is selected, it's necessary to create an additional table, that contains all the unique values from the WW column. In my example I named this table just "WW". There is a relationship between both tables on the one side the new "WW" table and on the many side the table that contains the data. This is a recommended approach and becomes much more important if your data will contain data / datetime columns.

Be aware that all the visuals are using the WW column from the WW table.

Here is a screenshot from showing the line chart with just Priority 1 filtered:

image.png

Here is the DAX statement that I use to calculate the measure that shows the cumulated Working Hours:

**bleep** No. of hours = 
CALCULATE(
    SUM('Table1'[No. of hours])
    ,FILTER(
        ALL('WW'[WW])
        ,'WW'[WW] <= MAX('WW'[WW])
    )
) 

Hopefully this is what you are looking for.

Regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Thank you so much! very helpful! 🙂

just one more question, i did the same as you did and now i have the same table as you created on the page you shared with me.

i need to calculate the cumulative column in % - so i need to divide each row (in the cumulative column) with the total of hours .

how can i sum up the "No. of hours" column ?

i tried to do it on the example you build for me, but it didn't work out! 😕

this is what i got-

6.PNG

and this is how i created "Total hours":

Total hours = SUM(Table1[No. of hours])

and this is how i created "**bleep** hours (%)":

**bleep** hours (%) = (Table1[**bleep** No. of hours]/Table1[Total hours])*100

why is it giving me wrong numbers? what i expected to get is-

7.PNG

Thanks again!! i really appriciate you time and help 🙂

ok, so i understand why it sums it up like that, but now i wonder how can i create a column that will sum up the No. of hours according to the priority i choose?

example- filtering to "P1" will give me sum of 14 and not 20 (=it's still sum up P1+P2), as it does no

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors