Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jbowler
Regular Visitor

Calculated fields in text boxes

Hi Community

I have a column chart showing a data series, x axis time periods

for the last column (most recent period) I want to float the value in extra large font in the centre above the chart -

Is it possible to do this via a text box linked to a value in the data? Not disimilar to Excel 2013 where you can pass cell links to shapes to show certain values

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@jbowler

You can drop your "count" into a table visual, move your "column/date" field into the filter area (Visual Level Filters), select only the date you want, and change the visual to a "Card". Then you can resize that a bit, play with the background transparency and place it over the column chart. It may provide what you are looking for, but there isn't anything you would be able to place on the same surface plane as the chart. ie. you can't snap in or embed visuals to other visuals.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Sounds like you just need a new visualization filtered for your most recent period placed above your column chart.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

that's it exactly.

How do I do that please?

@jbowler

You can drop your "count" into a table visual, move your "column/date" field into the filter area (Visual Level Filters), select only the date you want, and change the visual to a "Card". Then you can resize that a bit, play with the background transparency and place it over the column chart. It may provide what you are looking for, but there isn't anything you would be able to place on the same surface plane as the chart. ie. you can't snap in or embed visuals to other visuals.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

thankyou - that is pretty much what i was looking for!

It's a shame there are no further editr options on the card to omit the title of the column. I played with the size of the card to hide this title - it worked for me.

thanks again

Just a quick postscript on this -

is there any way to group the card and chart? It's fine on Reports but when I try to pin to my dashboard it doesn't take the card with it.

thanks

No you cannot group them..It is a visual trick in reports..still are two different visuals and you can pin only one visual at a tile..at least yet..

Konstantinos Ioannou

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.