Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Faye1901
Helper I
Helper I

Calculated colums versus Measures - why do they behave differently with filters?

Hi there

I had an issue whereby my calculated column values were not changing on the basis of a date filter when applied. This was an easy test as A (*should*) = B-C in this case.

I can see that the issue is alleviated when I use a measure instead. Why is this? I understand that Measures work by aggregation whereas Calculated Columns don't, but could someone explain in laymans terms why one works but not the other so I know for next time. 

Cheers
Faye

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Faye1901 ,

Measures and Calculated columns both are used for calculations of data for our reports. We create a formula using Dax expression for both of these columns.

Measures are used to calculate data like Total Sale; using Measures we can get an aggregate of data or we can filter data.

For example, you have revenue of your organization for every quarter, and you want total annual revenue. You can create Measure which will count revenue for the whole quarter and it will give you the total revenue of your company.

Calculated columns use each row of the table as the input and give calculated results. In this, we will get a calculation result in each row.

For example, if you have Address and State columns in your table and you want the location of each employee in your organization you can use Calculated column. Here, the Calculated column will get the city from the address column and state and will merge it in location for each person. It will include each row of data and will give results for each row separately.

Best Regards,
Kelly

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Faye1901 ,

Measures and Calculated columns both are used for calculations of data for our reports. We create a formula using Dax expression for both of these columns.

Measures are used to calculate data like Total Sale; using Measures we can get an aggregate of data or we can filter data.

For example, you have revenue of your organization for every quarter, and you want total annual revenue. You can create Measure which will count revenue for the whole quarter and it will give you the total revenue of your company.

Calculated columns use each row of the table as the input and give calculated results. In this, we will get a calculation result in each row.

For example, if you have Address and State columns in your table and you want the location of each employee in your organization you can use Calculated column. Here, the Calculated column will get the city from the address column and state and will merge it in location for each person. It will include each row of data and will give results for each row separately.

Best Regards,
Kelly

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Faye1901 

calculated column is created and calculated right after data load into report and it is not recalculated after filter applying

measure is more sophisticated entity.

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.