Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculated columns were disappeared post data source change

Hi,

I have a Power BI report that connected to the Azure analysis service(data source) in direct query mode(preview). Recently the cube has migrated to a new Azure AS server without any changes in the tabular model.

When I changed the data source(just updated AAS server URL), all calculated columns were removed from the report.

Is this an expected behaviour? Can anyone please help me here?

Regards,

Hari

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Are Deployment Pipelines a possibility for you?  They are designed to address that exact problem.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
gdarakji
Resolver III
Resolver III

The calculated columns are created in the PBIX? Why don't you create them in the AAS model. This way, they will become part of the model and won't disappear no matter what you do

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have created around 8 calculated columns in pbix .Simpe Dax funtions!

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Are Deployment Pipelines a possibility for you?  They are designed to address that exact problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. Right now I dont have one. Using a single workspace.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Kinda sorta. Usually when you change a data source query but keep the physical data source location and all columns as is then you get away with it. But the moment you change the physical data source this is considered too much of a meta data change, and calculated columns, measures, relationships etc. will disappear.

Assuming you have made a backup of your pbix before the change you can recreate the items that were dropped by opening that version side by side with the new one.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your input.

Yes. I have the backup of pbix using which I have recreated all the calculated columns. No issue with the measures I have created them under a separate table.

During a project, the cube keeps migrated from the dev environment to the test, then test to the production environment. All this time recreating calculated columns is an additional effort. I was looking for a permanent solution for this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.