cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paranoodle Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Calculated columns/tables deleting themselves

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I can't find anything on this topic, so here goes:

Recently it's been happening that occasionally when I go to create/edit a calculated column, Power BI seems to lag a little bit to display the formula bar and then... blanks out the formula of either the column I clicked on or the one I was on previously, and then validates it immediately (as if I'd pressed enter, which I haven't). The result is that whatever formula I had is gone, I can't CTRL-Z to get it back, and if the formula was for a calculated table instead of a calculated column, the entire table just disappears as if I'd deleted it. Again, with absolutely no way of getting it back.

I save frequently so I haven't had any huge issues with data loss yet, but has this happened to anyone? Am I accidentally hitting a gesture while clicking that could explain this? Or is it just a bug? What should I do and/or where should I go to fix it?

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Re: Calculated columns/tables deleting themselves

Huh, only way I can think of to troubleshoot that would be to post a video of it.

I have book! Learn Power BI from Packt

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

paranoodle Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Unfortunately this is for my work, which means a) work computer with no screen capture software that I'm aware of and b) really sensitive data that I'm not sure I'd be able to censor correctly on video. It doesn't help that while this has happened a handful of times now (3-4 or so?), it's been really inconsistent so I can't predict it.

For what it's worth it seems to have happened more frequently on the larger of the two files I'm on.

zoloturu
Advisor

Hi @paranoodle,

You can enable tracing and try to troubleshoot it by your hands.

Details - https://ruiromanoblog.wordpress.com/2016/01/08/power-bi-desktop-trace-logs-analyser/

Regards,
Ruslan
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Solution Badges

New Solution Badges

Two waves of brand new solution badges are coming! Read the article for more information on our new community badges.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 243 members 2,222 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: