Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Drue
Frequent Visitor

Calculated column with values from an unrelated table

Hey folks! I am running into an issue that I can't solve, and can't find an answer to in the forums.

First and foremost, here is my file.

I have a table Budget and a table GL that are not related to eachother, but are both related to the table Account and the table Calendar. I would like to add a new calculated column to my Budget table under the data section that says:

If the Budget account=36 then find the sum of GL actuals within the same month where account=192, multiply that total by 0.03 and add the budget amount to it, otherwise just put the budget amount.

For account code 36 (Subcontractors), our budget is actually the flat amount in the file plus 3% of that month's revenue. My budget file is pulling directly from QuickBooks, and QB can't do that kind of math, so I want to do it in PBI, since that is where I am reporting from. 

My goal is to create a table that looks like this with the correct Budget amount (right now not including 3% of revenue), so there can be a side-by-side comparison of actual vs budget

Drue_0-1623347690094.png

Because I want it to look like this, I don't think I can create a measure. Or at least, I haven't figured out how to make that all work. I am open to how to do this, as long as I can get the above visual.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Drue
Frequent Visitor

I was actually able to finally solve my own problem, adding a calculated column to the data. Here is the forumla that worked:

New Budget =
IF(
Budget[Account]="36",
(CALCULATE(SUM(GL[Actual]),
FILTER(ALL(GL), MONTH(Budget[Date])=MONTH(GL[Date]) && YEAR(Budget[Date])=YEAR(GL[Date]) && GL[Actual]>0))*0.03)+Budget[Budget],
Budget[Budget]
)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Drue
Frequent Visitor

I was actually able to finally solve my own problem, adding a calculated column to the data. Here is the forumla that worked:

New Budget =
IF(
Budget[Account]="36",
(CALCULATE(SUM(GL[Actual]),
FILTER(ALL(GL), MONTH(Budget[Date])=MONTH(GL[Date]) && YEAR(Budget[Date])=YEAR(GL[Date]) && GL[Actual]>0))*0.03)+Budget[Budget],
Budget[Budget]
)
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

"I would like to add a new calculated column to my Budget table"

That won't work as your budget table doesn't have the complete date information - unless you can positively exclude scenarios where you have actuals for an account+date but no budget (in which case you could merge the Budget and GL tables). Your sample data looks rather different

lbendlin_0-1623622465023.png

I think you would rather need a measure.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.