Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

xarius
Helper I
Helper I

Calculated column with previous row referencing same calculated column (DAX or Power M)

Hi,

I'm trying to create a new column in my table that relies on data from another column in the same row and a previous row from the row I'm trying to calculate.

My understanding is that DAX can't do it (from everything I've read you can't reference a previous row in the column you're trying to calculate - although very happy to be corrected on this), but that Power M might be able to via List. Accumulate?

I have almost no experience with Power M so any help would be helpful. I've posted an image of what I'm trying to achieve below.

image.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
MFelix
Super User
Super User

HI @xarius ,

You need to do the following:

• Filter out all the rows with Start
  • Add a new index column starting in 1
  • Merge the last step before the filter with the new step
  • Do a fill down on the period column.

Check M code below and attach PBIX:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCi5JLCpRitWJVnJEIp3ApDMS6YJEuoJJnDpjAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Label = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Label", type text}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 1, 1),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Index", each ([Label] = "Start")),
    #"Added Index1" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Filtered Rows", "Period", 1, 1),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Added Index",{"Index"},#"Added Index1",{"Index"},"Added Index",JoinKind.FullOuter),
    #"Expanded Added Index" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Added Index", {"Period"}, {"Period"}),
    #"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Expanded Added Index",{"Period"})
in
    #"Filled Down"

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

Oh, sorry - just recognized the problem now.

Yes, you have to perform some recursice operation here:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUQouSSwqUYrViVYyAvIcwSxjOMsEyHICs0yBLGcwywzOMgeyXMAsCzjLEshyBbMMDVCMNzSEm2qIsMrQGGJDLAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Index = _t, Label = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Index", Int64.Type}, {"Label", type text}}),
    GenerateList = 
        List.Skip(
        List.Generate(
            ()=> [Result = 0, Counter = 0],
            each [Counter] <= Table.RowCount(#"Changed Type"),
            each [
                    Switch = [
                    Start = 0,
                    A = [Result] + 1,
                    B = [Result] + 2,
                    C = [Result] + 3
                    ],
                    Result = try Record.Field(Switch, #"Changed Type"[Label]{[Counter]}) otherwise [Result]-1,
                Counter = [Counter]+1
            ],
            each [Result])
            ,1),
    MergeColumns = Table.FromColumns(Table.ToColumns(Source) & {GenerateList}, Table.ColumnNames(Source) & {"ExpectedOutput"})
in
    MergeColumns

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.