Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wmeyer
Helper III
Helper III

Calculated column to count number of transactions for each customer in a period of time

I'm trying to calculate the number of transactions each customer had in a given 18 month period of time. Here is what I have so far, but it is not calculating the correct number of transactions. The formula below is a calculated column.

Lost Count # Trans2 = CALCULATE(COUNTX('Customer Base','Customer Base'[Transaction ID]),DATESBETWEEN('Customer Base'[Transaction Date],'Customer Base'[Start of Month of Transaction DAte],[Lost Month]))

I have 1 table that contains all transactions for all customers. It includes:Customer ID, transaction date, start of month of transaction date, lost month

For example it looks like this:

Customer ID    Transaction ID     Start of Month of Transaction  Lost Month            Count of Trans(formula above)

ABC                    1                              1/1/15                                      3/1/16              3

ABC                    2                              4/1/15                                      7/1/16              2

DEF                    3                               1/1/15                                      3/1/16             1

ABC                   4                                7/1/15                                      10/1/16           1

The numbers in bold in the Count of Trans column are what I want to see, but currently the formula is giving me a 1 for each, because it is not grouping the customer ID's together and counting them collectively for that period of time. 

The idea is to then be able to say, if a customer has a 1, that means the customer has not ordered in that 18 month time period

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @wmeyer

try this

Column 2 =
IF (
    [ Lost Month ] <> BLANK (),
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTROWS ( 'Table1' ),
        FILTER (
            ALLEXCEPT ( Table1, Table1[Customer ID] ),
            (
                Table1[Start of Month of Transaction]
                    >= EARLIER ( Table1[Start of Month of Transaction] )
            )
                && ( Table1[Start of Month of Transaction] ) <= EARLIER ( Table1[ Lost Month ] )
        )
    ),
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTROWS ( 'Table1' ),
        FILTER (
        )
    )
)

14.png

explanation:

Column 2 =
IF (
    [ Lost Month ] <> BLANK (),          //judge if the 'Lost Month' column is blank//
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTROWS ( 'Table1' ),
        FILTER (
            ALLEXCEPT ( Table1, Table1[Customer ID] ),     //returen a table with all filters removed except for the filter on the 'Customer ID' column//
            (
                Table1[Start of Month of Transaction]
                    >= EARLIER ( Table1[Start of Month of Transaction] )   // filter the context which date is larger than or equal 
to the current row  context //    

)
                && ( Table1[Start of Month of Transaction] ) <= EARLIER ( Table1[ Lost Month ] )
        )                                                                                                 //meet two conditions above at the same time//
    ),
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTROWS ( 'Table1' ),
        FILTER (
            ALLEXCEPT ( Table1, Table1[Customer ID] ),
                >= EARLIER ( Table1[Start of Month of Transaction] )       
        )
    )
)

Best regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @wmeyer

Try this formula instead

Column 2 =
CALCULATE (
    COUNTROWS ( 'Customer Base' ),
    FILTER (
        ALLEXCEPT ( 'Customer Base', 'Customer Base'[Customer ID] ),
        'Customer Base'[Start of Month of Transaction]
            >= EARLIER ( 'Customer Base'[Start of Month of Transaction] )
    )
)

11.png

Best regards

Maggie

Maggie, This appears to have worked, partially. I have some rows where it is not calculating the correct totals.

New Formula.PNG

I'm confused how this works with out using the Lost Month Date column. 

Could you help me understand what each function in the formula is doing? I'd like to get a better understanding so i can use these functions and apply them to other things done the road, once we get this figured out. 

Hi @wmeyer

try this

Column 2 =
IF (
    [ Lost Month ] <> BLANK (),
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTROWS ( 'Table1' ),
        FILTER (
            (
            )
                && ( Table1[Start of Month of Transaction] ) <= EARLIER ( Table1[ Lost Month ] )
        )
    ),
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTROWS ( 'Table1' ),
        FILTER (
        )
    )
)

14.png

explanation:

Column 2 =
IF (
    [ Lost Month ] <> BLANK (),          //judge if the 'Lost Month' column is blank//
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTROWS ( 'Table1' ),
        FILTER (
            ALLEXCEPT ( Table1, Table1[Customer ID] ),     //returen a table with all filters removed except for the filter on the 'Customer ID' column//
            (
                    >= EARLIER ( Table1[Start of Month of Transaction] )   // filter the context which date is larger than or equal 
to the current row  context //    

)
                && ( Table1[Start of Month of Transaction] ) <= EARLIER ( Table1[ Lost Month ] )
        )                                                                                                 //meet two conditions above at the same time//
    ),
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTROWS ( 'Table1' ),
        FILTER (
            ALLEXCEPT ( Table1, Table1[Customer ID] ),
                >= EARLIER ( Table1[Start of Month of Transaction] )       
        )
    )
)

Best regards

Maggie

Maggie, This is now calculating correctly for all rows! Thank you so much! You saved me countless hours trying to figure this out 🙂 

How did you become so good at formulas? I'm looking for a mentor/training or something that can help me become better at them.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors