Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculated column based on two tables

Hi everyone, 

I want to make a calculated column based on two other tables. I need the date and the goal columns from both tables. From the first table (Eerste goal), I want the values for the column Goals when they are not blank, and when they are blank, and want a 0. I want different values from the second table (Stats_conc). I want a 0 for every row, so when the value for the column is Blank, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. I want a 0. That's why I said: Stats_conc[Goals]) = 99, since there is no player who ever will score 99 times.

The formule is as follows: 

Goals =
SWITCH(
TRUE(),
MAXX(
FILTER(
ALL('Eerste goal'),'Eerste goal'[Nieuwe Datum]=EARLIER('StatsEersteGoal'[Nieuwe Datum])
&&'Eerste goal'[Speler]=EARLIER('StatsEerstegoal'[Speler])),'Eerste goal'[Goals])<>BLANK(),

MAXX(FILTER(ALL('Eerste goal'),'Eerste goal'[Nieuwe Datum]=EARLIER('StatsEersteGoal'[Nieuwe Datum])
&&'Eerste goal'[Speler]=EARLIER('StatsEersteGoal'[Speler])),'Eerste goal'[Goals]),
MAXX(
FILTER(
ALL(Stats_conc), Stats_conc[Datum]=EARLIER(StatsEersteGoal[Nieuwe Datum])
&& Stats_conc[Speler]= EARLIER(StatsEersteGoal[Speler])), Stats_conc[Goals]) = 99,
MAXX(FILTER(ALL(Stats_conc), Stats_conc[Datum]=EARLIER(StatsEersteGoal[Nieuwe Datum])
&& Stats_conc[Speler]= EARLIER(StatsEersteGoal[Speler])), StatsEersteGoal[Goalss]),
)

Unfortunately, the result isn't what I expected. As you can see, there are blanks for several dates. Those dates can be found in the table Stats_conc. As a consequence, the measure Cumulative goals doesn't work. 
It's probably not needed but just for sure: the measure for Cumulative goals is this:
Cumulative goals =
CALCULATE(
SUM(StatsEersteGoal[Goalstest]),
ALL('StatsEersteGoal'),
'StatsEersteGoal'[Nieuwe Datum]<=
MAX('StatsEersteGoal'[Nieuwe Datum])
&&'StatsEersteGoal'[Speler]=MAX('StatsEersteGoal'[Speler])
) + 0

I hope anyone can help me out to combine those two tables. I more information is required, just let me know! 

Goals calculated column.jpg
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @MFelix 

Thanks for your reply. Sorry for my late response, but I couldn't move on with my project, since I was busy with a new project. 

Unfortunately, it wasn't the solution I was looking for. So, I approaced it differently. Instead of making one table with a complex calculated column, I kept the two tables seperatly, but with all the dates. For all those new dates which were filled with blanks, I replaced those blanks with 0's. So, instead solving the blanks by creating a calculated columns, it's solved in the Query Editor, which, in this case, was more intuitive. 

I created a bridge table to link the two table (and to have a relationship from one-to-many). 

Thanks for your help @MFelix , and I am happy it's finally solved

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @MFelix 

Thanks for your reply. Sorry for my late response, but I couldn't move on with my project, since I was busy with a new project. 

Unfortunately, it wasn't the solution I was looking for. So, I approaced it differently. Instead of making one table with a complex calculated column, I kept the two tables seperatly, but with all the dates. For all those new dates which were filled with blanks, I replaced those blanks with 0's. So, instead solving the blanks by creating a calculated columns, it's solved in the Query Editor, which, in this case, was more intuitive. 

I created a bridge table to link the two table (and to have a relationship from one-to-many). 

Thanks for your help @MFelix , and I am happy it's finally solved

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello everyone, 

The issue is still not solved. Could someone help me out?

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry for not giving you an answer before believe I have miss the notification about the message, please apologize me and be sure it was not on purpose.

I looked at your file, and since you have a date table relate with your tables you need to make the cumulative based on that value so if you change your metric to the following believe this solves your issue:

Cumulative goalstest = 
CALCULATE(
    SUM(StatsFirstGoal[Goalstest]), 
    ALL('StatsFirstGoal'),
        'StatsFirstGoal'[NewDate]<=
        MAX('Date'[Date])
        &&'StatsFirstGoal'[Speler]=MAX('StatsFirstGoal'[Speler])

)  

MFelix_0-1657821059611.png

How you can see what I did was to change the MAX('StatsFirstGoal'[NewDate]) by the MAX('Date'[Date]).

Is this the result you need?

Be advise that your Calendar table should be continuos and not jumop dates in order to have a proper calculation of time intelligence values.

Check PBIX file attach and once more accept my apollogies.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Can you please share a mockup data or sample of your PBIX file. You can use a onedrive, google drive, we transfer or similar link to upload your files.

If the information is sensitive please share it trough private message.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @MFelix ,

Thank you for your reply!

It's open data, so here is the file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wi7RVHpbOQenvSixhTcCmM_3V-1EuXWy/view?usp=sharing

I tried to explain the problem in more depth in the file, also by including visuals of course. I hope this helps, and otherwise, let me know!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.